Top of tall poplar dead - can we save the rest of the tree?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
marycaswell

marycaswell

We have a very tall poplar tree - maybe 120 feet - and the top 20% or so is dead. I'm wondering if we can just take the top off and the tree will be OK or if we have to take the whole tree down. I'm pretty sure the damaged part is the result of a partial lightening strike last summer. We just took down the tree next to it that was completely killed by the strike (also a 120-140 foot tree). But the rest of the tree is producing green leaves and looks great - it's just the top.

thanks for any advice - we would like to save the tree if possible

JeffGu

JeffGu

Antagonist/Heckler
I hate to top a tree, but in this case you really don't have a lot of options. If the rest of the tree seems fine, then topping it won't kill it.. but it's going to trigger a lot of regrowth that will never be pretty. But, you'll still have some shade and a big tree. Might want to start thinking about a replacement for the one you took out, with an eye toward the big picture. Even if you don't live to see it get real big, somebody will appreciate your efforts to think about the future. Local garden centers, nurseries and the world wide web can help you choose a tree that you'll love and that will do well in your area. Remember, fast growing trees come with a price... they generally are much weaker than slow growing trees.

Latest posts