Top Saws For Ground Use Or Homeowners?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
WOW!!!!!! Praise from the master:jawdrop: Thank you Jeff I am humbled:bowdown:

Last edited:
Big Jay: If you can justify more than 50% of the saw with in tree work, go for it. If you are not that familier or practiced with chainsaws don't buy one, they can and will bite you FAST!!!!!!!! I am very leery of whom gets to run my 192t, just because I have had it kick back on me a few times. It has a tendancy to come wizzing by you're knose reall quick like!
Andy

coveredinsap said:
And as for the 455 Rancher...I needed a saw to mill one cedar tree, not mill a whole forest. The saw did the job...and now it will continue to do it's job as a ranch saw...which is exactly why I bought it. Now, as painfull as it may be for you 'pro' types to realize...simply buying a pro saw doesn't make you a pro, it just makes you a snob.

So, Sap, are you actually a rancher? I mean do you own a ranch? You know, like the Ponderosa or something?

And what exactly would the job of a "ranch saw" be, as opposed to a regular, non ranch saw? And what features on the saw, in your educated opinion, make it suitable for "ranch use", and differentiate it from ordinary saws?

coveredinsap said:
Dude...if it's been made then I've cut wood with it.

And...."beaking off"???? Is that a Canadian term? Sort of like "a"?

That statement was just asanine!!!!!!! You run a buzzsaw before? Drop any trees with a crosscut lately? Let me guess back when you where a sappling you and you're pops went out and cut firewood that way right? There is a very large danger factor involved with the tophandle saws, somedays it scares me and I grab something else, it just doesn't "feel right that day". I listen to my instincts!!!
I will give you some credit on the "saw snob" statement though. I, like you, read and researched everything I could before purchasing my 390. I got a good saw that does most of what I ask yes. I however have come to regret that decision just in the few time that I do need a little more "Umph" the 440 would sure be nice!!! Now that I have the 262 opened and tuned right, It came from CO, carb needed adjusted expecialy after the muffler mod.:cheers: I have noticed that the 262 is more saw!! Look up the specs, very simialer size and weights. This is not a Husky/Stihl thing, it's just a fact!! Go run a pro saw sometime. These guys aren't being jerks or snobs, I wouldn't have belived it myself until I ran into lack of power with the 390 and running the 262, The pro saws are made better, period!!! You and I, as well as 90% of the JO Blows out there will never need more than the homeowners models, but a lot of people do, or at least want the features and longevity of the pro models.
Andy

coveredinsap said:

Sap....YOU IDIOT, now you've done pissed off us Canadians with a quote like that.............."eh"!

Paul61 said:
Sap....YOU IDIOT, now you've done pissed off us Canadians with a quote like that.............."eh"!

Sorry about that. I've got no beef with Canadians. (Just Canadian bacon :))

That 'leverage' thing is just plain funny. You guys should really stick to being fellers, as I read in the injury forum what happened to the last guy who tried to be an engineer.

coveredinsap said:
No its not.

The 'leverage' that you speak of only comes into play if you have a dull chain and are trying to force the saw thru the cut. And the comfort 'wrist angle' is bs...that only applies if you are trying to stand behind the saw like you would with a rear-handle saw, instead of to the side of it as you do with a top-handle.

Ever heard of "dogging in?" Seriously, have you EVER cut anything bigger than 6" ?

coveredinsap said:
That 'leverage' thing is just plain funny. You guys should really stick to being fellers, as I read in the injury forum what happened to the last guy who tried to be an engineer.

Hey Douchebag, leverage is real, it is utilized everyday in many foms of life!!! And yes, a chainsaw is a lever first, if you can't see that than the powers that be need to change you're name to coverincr@p as you sure seem to be full of it!
I look through the injury forum and have no idea what you are talking about! D@#m, I forgot who I was talking to, sorry, my bad.
Andy

bigjayfromwa said:
I Am Selling For A Stihl Dealer And I Dont Feel Comfortable Selling The 192t Or 200t To Homeowners Or People That Are Using Them As Ground Saws. Just From Experience Using Them Up In The Trees. They Seem So Easy To Get A Inexperienced Person Into Trouble Since You Dont Have Any Leverage With Them.
Yet A Fellow Co-worker Sells Them To Lots Of Homeowners For General Use Or For Guys Using Them As Groundsaws.
Just Curious If Its Just Me, Or If Anyone Else On Here See's Where I'm Coming From???

You might want to tell them that they are limiting their abilities to do the job efficiently and professionally. After that money talks.

What should I get?

I'm kinda surprised that I haven't heard the Stihl 009 brought anywhere in this site. It's the red headed step child of my operation. I'm sure yoiu have all seen one, it's the half top/half rear handled saw. I never like half this tools, they usaully can't do either, but the 009 just goes. Great cutting saw, good power (16") and just takes a beating. Much more comfortable on the ground then my 200T. That being said I prefer my 200T in the bucket or my 358xp in the trees. As far as this thread goes, the 009 is just as good, more comfortable, and about $300.00 cheaper. Pretty good sales pitch.

nitwit dolt said:
I'm kinda surprised that I haven't heard the Stihl 009 brought anywhere in this site. It's the red headed step child of my operation. I'm sure yoiu have all seen one, it's the half top/half rear handled saw. I never like half this tools, they usaully can't do either, but the 009 just goes. Great cutting saw, good power (16") and just takes a beating. Much more comfortable on the ground then my 200T. That being said I prefer my 200T in the bucket or my 358xp in the trees. As far as this thread goes, the 009 is just as good, more comfortable, and about $300.00 cheaper. Pretty good sales pitch.

Yes, it was... but stopped production late last year.

sap, LMAO. I wish I could be 1/10 of the douchebag you are for arguements sake.

I can't believe anyone hasn't mentioned the "possiblities" of one handing a top handle. I think this is what causes most of the accidents and injuries. I have ran them, 020T's, a COUPLE times. I found the hand placement weird and it would definately take some getting used to. I found it easier to right hand it and use the left for holding the branch. :monkey:

Now, I know that is totally wrong and that is where the danger is at. With one hand on the saw, you now have even less leverage than with two in weird angles. With the loss of leverage, it is easy to get a little close to your left hand and kickback one handed would probably make you one eyed, if you were lucky.

I just thought I would points those out for SAP's know-it-all attitude. I know that it isn't common practice to talk about one handing a saw, but we all know if happens. But the possiblities of someone reading the dangers here might actually help their odds of an injury if they are aware.

Hey sap, My 55 Rancher Pro will dust that POS heavy weight TURD 455

:sucks:

computeruser said:
An anecdote: Last summer I was out of town and had hit a couple nails in an old tree that I was cutting up for my parents' neighbor. I needed to pick up a couple of fresh loops so I could finish the job, so I went into the local OPE dealer and asked for EXACTLY what I wanted - two loops of RS, 3/8", 72dl, .050. The guy then proceeded to quiz me about my qualifications and said that without "credentials" to show that I was a "pro," the only chain he'd sell me was RM2. Is this the direction that we want to go?

Just the fact you know what the chain is should in some way clue him in on the fact you may know what you were doing.

Fred

coveredinsap said:

As a study of language I would infer that "beaking off" would refer to "birds," limey speak for women, babbling. Or "chicken heads mouthing off" if one is from Compton Yo.

Although there is a negative conotation towards women........HAHAHHAHAHA

Fred

Last edited:
coveredinsap said:
I've got a 'homeowner' 38cc green Poulan put ...and the saw eats it up. That's got to be the best $99 I've ever spent on a saw.

Now, as painfull as it may be for you 'pro' types to realize...simply buying a pro saw doesn't make you a pro, it just makes you a snob.

One at a time please.

I have a poulan top handle. I bought it here. It does not eat up anything. It works for my purpose.

The only thing that can beat a 455 is a poulan. HAHAHAHHA

First I was called a Redneck and now a snob for owning a pro saw, or 20 whatever. Give it a break. You have never been wrong and that probably makes your family's life hell. These are the people that I feel for.

Fred

Back