Topping Banned

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CLEARVIEW TREE

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I recently read in one of the mags where topping has been banned in knoxville, tn.(actually the small wealthy township of Farragut). The city officials had enough of all the poor practices, liabilities, and i suppose some near misses with failing trees and banned it all together. That's a first step in the right direction towards proper tree care.

While there at it they should cut every tree that grows under a powerline, instead of topping that tree year after year and wasting many tax payer dollars and sending all that carbon monoxide into the enviro from all the equipment running! Planting a more condusive species in the same area. This in turn would stimulate the economy in a positive way, creating jobs, etc.

And when the tall trees in years to come fall on the homes of the people that weren't allowed to top them for safetys sake, who will pick up the bill for repairs after a storm? Or is it the towns desire to remove all the trees in their entirety and thus remove the possibility of topping them? Government at it best .....:censored:

Capetree, you need to go back to the books and then open your eyes on how trees work before spreading archaic misconceptions based only on the limited ideas of human beings. Try as you may, you won't stop the evolution of arboriculture with your scare tactics.

Hit the books, sir! And then open you eyes. http://www.treedictionary.com/DICT2003/shigo/21st.html

jp:D

Capetree, you need to go back to the books and then open your eyes on how trees work before spreading archaic misconceptions based only on the limited ideas of human beings. Try as you may, you won't stop the evolution of arboriculture with your scare tactics.

Hit the books, sir! And then open you eyes. http://www.treedictionary.com/DICT2003/shigo/21st.html

jp:D

REALLY, Capetrees has a point!! as unpopular as some might think, but here in PA(western) we got hit with one of the worst windstorms in years......guess what? all of my work was healthy untopped trees!! uprooted, tops broke out, limbs broke, etc... some of these trees had an annual maintenance program(crown cleaning, proper pruning,etc..) so while the lazy bum who doesnt want to rake leaves this fall had his trees turned into hatracks, he also had NO tree damage!!

SO GUESS WHAT? everyone in my area is so gun shy now that most of my calls are to "top" & I mean defoliate the entire tree leaving stubs!!

LXT................

And when the tall trees in years to come fall on the homes of the people that weren't allowed to top them for safety's sake, who will pick up the bill for repairs after a storm? Or is it the towns desire to remove all the trees in their entirety and thus remove the possibility of topping them? Government at it best .....:censored:

Wat are you thinking tom trees

the paragraph clearly states, knoxville,tennessee, i just abbreviated to tn.

Yeah I got that, it was a joke :rolleyes:

Look, I dislike topping trees as much as the next guy. I don't like the idea of having a stump in my yard, and, as a professional, I would never recommend the practice to anyone. However, that is where it ends for me. If someone wishes to hack their tree up, I'm not going to stop them. It is their tree, on their property, that they are paying the taxes on. Don't like it? Don't look. How arrogant. I'm going to propose that Christmas lights MUST be taken down by the 28th of December. No exception. I cannot stand the sight of all those reindeer and snowmen after the 25th!

Get the picture? I am extremely leery of any proposal to ban something, and I am extremely distru####l of individuals who endorse these bans. They generally have less to do with safety or science, and more to do with someones own agenda.

Look, I dislike topping trees as much as the next guy. I don't like the idea of having a stump in my yard, and, as a professional, I would never recommend the practice to anyone. However, that is where it ends for me. If someone wishes to hack their tree up, I'm not going to stop them. It is their tree, on their property, that they are paying the taxes on. Don't like it? Don't look. How arrogant. I'm going to propose that Christmas lights MUST be taken down by the 28th of December. No exception. I cannot stand the sight of all those reindeer and snowmen after the 25th!

Get the picture? I am extremely leery of any proposal to ban something, and I am extremely distru####l of individuals who endorse these bans. They generally have less to do with safety or science, and more to do with someones own agenda.

You got 'er, where does it end?

I recently read in one of the mags where topping has been banned in knoxville, tn.(actually the small wealthy township of Farragut). The city officials had enough of all the poor practices, liabilities, and i suppose some near misses with failing trees and banned it all together. That's a first step in the right direction towards proper tree care.

While there at it they should cut every tree that grows under a powerline, instead of topping that tree year after year and wasting many tax payer dollars and sending all that carbon monoxide into the enviro from all the equipment running! Planting a more condusive species in the same area. This in turn would stimulate the economy in a positive way, creating jobs, etc.

Where did you find the article? I would like to contact and congratulate them for preserving their urban forest from the hacks.

More of this type of regulation is just around the corner.

I also agree with your second statement.

Where did you find the article? I would like to contact and congratulate them for preserving their urban forest from the hacks.

Hacks, as you know from that lame thread that went on and on, lots of decent tree guys top trees, for many reasons. Quit insulting people.

I agree:agree2: , this country doesn't need arboriculture special interests to legislate law. This BS debate never ends and never will.

Subscribe to a magazine or something, after you drool over the ads actually read the articles. Topping trees is not right. If people have big trees in thier yards then they need to have them thined. This is a very effective storm damage prevention.
I think when some people think of topping trees they think of a drastic crown reduction. This is not at all what I call topping. Topping is when you ignore the rules or standards of tree care. Those who don't want standards (rules) in this industry, I have to wonder about. Everyone needs money, but if money is your motivation then you could make a lot more doing many other labor type jobs. High rise window washing for one.
We are not talking about the government requiring us to only use stihls, or limiting us to certain tools, or the like. We are talking about professionalism.
As in anything if you don't do the job of a pro, then simply what does that make you? I leave it to you to fill in the blank.

Subscribe to a magazine or something, after you drool over the ads actually read the articles. Topping trees is not right. If people have big trees in thier yards then they need to have them thined. This is a very effective storm damage prevention.
I think when some people think of topping trees they think of a drastic crown reduction. This is not at all what I call topping. Topping is when you ignore the rules or standards of tree care. Those who don't want standards (rules) in this industry, I have to wonder about. Everyone needs money, but if money is your motivation then you could make a lot more doing many other labor type jobs. High rise window washing for one.
We are not talking about the government requiring us to only use stihls, or limiting us to certain tools, or the like. We are talking about professionalism.
As in anything if you don't do the job of a pro, then simply what does that make you? I leave it to you to fill in the blank.

As I said in another thread, there are hacks in every trade. Generally, they are cheaper too. It's up to the customer to decide what quality of work they want done, and how much it's worth to them. Then, they need to research companies and get multiple estimates. Believe it or not, some people are totally capable of making decisions on their own without government intervention! I know personal responsibility is a new concept for some, but it can work. I do carpentry work also and I can't stand when people miter joints on moulding and don't leave a gap for expansion. Do I want this practice banned? No, I just do it the right way and go on with my life. Same with topping.

Oh joy! Saving the planet....and now the economy....one tree at a time.

Then what?

One of these days the grass huggers are going to unite, you know, and demand that all mowing cease because it is a know fact that topping grass keeps it from realizing it's natural potential. And did you know that the taller the grass the more powerful it is in offsetting Al Gore's estate. And you can save the planet and the global economy by banning grass topping. (And earn double carbon credits)

Grasses have rights too you know!!!!!!

Think of the polar bears!!!!

I can hear the remakes in the distance:

"Aquarius. Aquarius!"

:monkey:

Oh yes Darwin...we've arrived.

so now we will just cut the trees down and don't you mean "communism" instead of "regulation"...............

I'm starting a no topping campaign my slogan will be "Don't top it, just drop it"

As I said in another thread, there are hacks in every trade. Generally, they are cheaper too. It's up to the customer to decide what quality of work they want done, and how much it's worth to them. Then, they need to research companies and get multiple estimates. Believe it or not, some people are totally capable of making decisions on their own without government intervention! I know personal responsibility is a new concept for some, but it can work. I do carpentry work also and I can't stand when people miter joints on moulding and don't leave a gap for expansion. Do I want this practice banned? No, I just do it the right way and go on with my life. Same with topping.

Very level headed...no pun indended.

How would arboriculture be if we had 'arbo inspectors' like the building industry has 'building inspectors'?

Lots of building practices are not allowed, or 'banned'.

Well for one thing, poorly mitered crown moulding is not going to cause a building failure. This person is talking about banning tree topping as in making it illegal with a fine or worse. If a building fails inspection, the worst that will happen is the contractor having to fix it to bring it to code before the house can be liveable.

so now we will just cut the trees down and don't you mean "communism" instead of "regulation"...............

I'm starting a no topping campaign my slogan will be "Don't top it, just drop it"

Yes he means communism, but after such abject failure, regulation sounds better.

I agree, there are good standards out there, but to insist that a HO or landowner cannot do with his own property (i.e. his trees) on his own property, as he sees fit, pass or fail, is dangerous.

What is next? Really?

Communism indeed.

Last edited:
Back