Topping Redwoods

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

J D

Addicted to ArboristSite
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
I have a couple of Redwoods growing up in front of a neighbours house that are becoming an issue. Largest is currently about 15' tall & maybe 6" DBH.
They will have to come down eventually but in the meantime I'm looking to limit their upward growth as much as possible without pruning them to death.
Some advice on the best practice for topping them & any other considerations I should make would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Yeah... so, if they aren't the right tree in right spot... why are they there in the first place?
There was a massive redwood there that was taken down 20+ years ago when the house behind was built. These are self seeded from that. I would happily let them grow but understand the neighbours concern about loosing their light & view.
They are on a reasonably steep slope & will be helping to hold the ground. If I remove them then it will also mean some of the less desirable growth around them takes their place

as a rule, topping trees is just a bad idea, they will bounce back, and then you have a "castle top" with a rotten core thats every bit as tall, or taller then the original problem to begin with, except now, its half rotten and has massive potentially unstable multi topped monster to deal with...

cut it all the way down, or leave it alone, theres not really a safe in between.

Latest posts

Back