topping

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

edward.sanderson

Reaction score
A mature Bradford Pear tree was recently topped in front of my home by a
local tree service hired by the borough. I was told that this is the
only way to control the growth of these older varieties and make them
less hazardous because they are prone to splitting. I have searched the
internet and all information that I have found says that topping is the
worst thing that you can do to a tree. They plan to do this every 5 - 7
years. Is there any other way to prune this tree? Who can I contact? JD

Please do not top your trees :-( Try to finde a ISA certifide arborist in you home town to advise you how to prune

The older varieties of Bradford pear did split quite often, but this could be corrected by some training when they were young or in the nursery. They had a branching pattern that put at least 2 branches exactly opposite each other on the stem, usually with a tight V crotch. As the two branches and the stem grew, it was almost guaranteed that they would get a large amount of included bark. They also were prone to eventually pinching off the main stem when the two side branches got to vigorous. At an early age you could remove one of the branches at each fork, or remove one that had a very upright growth to promote a flatter new branch below that and it often solved the problem. Many cities planted hundreds of these that had not been properly trained in the nursery and due to their growth habit they grew into problems. If the trees are old enough to be topped, it is probably a little late to solve the problem. Just something for you and the city to remember when they purchase trees next time. By the way, some of the later varieties of Bradford were specially selected for the improve branching patter, and are real nice trees.

Bob Underwood

The word topping is often interchanged with pollarding.

Pollarding is an accepted method still in use in most countries in Europe for certain situations. I have personally pollarded trees in europe that are over one hundred years old and have withstood pollarding every 5-7 years.

Topping is bad, but pollarding is not always bad.

Many of the old farms in Europe have rows of Willows that they top each year so they can harvest the new growth to make things like brooms or baskets.

The guidelines for pruning fruit trees are different. The objectives are different. Go look at the trees in an apple orchard. You will see multi-stemed trees trained to grow low and horizontally.
These old pear trees are very problematic because they have a very columnar habit which is prone to spliting and make the fruit hard to harvest.
Topping discribes pruning where the arborist just picks a height and makes cuts, without carefully considering the location of lateral branches and other aspects of proper pruning. If they are just giving the trees a crew cut, that is improper pruning. If they are reducing the height by making selective, proper pruning cuts at intersections of lateral branches that are about 1/3(or larger) the size of the branch being removed, then that is ok. When done properly, this type of pruning leaves a natural looking and shorter tree, which is less likly to split.
Topping cuts are made in the middle of a straight branch,and are called stub cuts. At the stub cut, you typically end up with a couple inches of dead wood then several suckers that shoot up from the tip. These are weakly attached and look un-natural and woeful. This new growth is so rapid it quickly reaches it's original height. So now soon you have a tree that looks bad and is just as tall.

Last edited:
First I've heard of a 5-7 year pollard cycle, everything else I've read is 1-3.

But then I've read that the old wood workers would do it to preshape timbers.

On the 'Bradford' pear issue, I wish proffessionals would start talking Callery pear instead of cv particular. As Steven aludes there are many cvs that are better then 'Bradford'. Dirr has apologized for instigating the abuse of this cv that should be used only as a "temporary" planting.

Mike, there ornimental pears. The fruit is marble sized. Smaller then most crab apples.

Latest posts

Back