Topping 10' up

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

johncoyote

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I have it in mind to clear a 18' wide by 300' long corridor through a heavily forested island. My permit constrains the cutting of the larger trees at 10' up from the base. I've done my share of logging on my land, but always sawing at the base where I can get out of the way.

For the island job, unless the tree can be felled into the already cleared part of the corridor, it seems likely it would get hung up. It might be possible to attach a line to the top, and use a PTO winch from across the river to pull it in the desired direction, alternately to section it from the top. The trees are all of a variety that are climbable with spikes.

I'm looking for feedback and ideas on the project.

The corridor is for a aerial cable car. I don't know the reason for the constraint, but it's what the permit requires. I suspect it has something to do with preserving habitat, or possible preserving the root ball.

Perhaps you can give me some ammunition to use to get the requirement changed to shoulder height? If the consensus is it's not practical without either heavy equipment, or else climbing, limbing, and sectioning.

I have it in mind to clear a 18' wide by 300' long corridor through a heavily forested island. My permit constrains the cutting of the larger trees at 10' up from the base. I've done my share of logging on my land, but always sawing at the base where I can get out of the way.
What size trees?
What is the definition of "larger", and how many of these "larger" trees are there?

I would do some more research on their thought process, and what their expectations of what the finished job should look like. Also see if another job has been done to these specs, so you can see what their expectations are. 10', shoulder height, you are still trying to snake logs out of an absolute mess.

If they aren't able to point to a similar job... huge red flag.

For some reason it reminds me of a job I did after the bastrop fire. Lady had 20 or so dead pines, and decided she would have her brother in law do the cleanup, just wanted to pay to have them dropped safely, but was only willing to pay for one day of cutting. So I dropped them all in a day, and created a 20 foot high tangled mess.... her brother ran away screaming, and it cost her double to have us clean it up.

I tell that story to make a point, there may be some unreasonable expectations here, and you could get caught in the middle.

What size trees?
What is the definition of "larger", and how many of these "larger" trees are there?

I have a survey that lists the location, species, and diameter of every tree larger than 6". I'm assuming the requirement for 10' topping applies to only "larger" trees, for some definition of larger. I'll have to get back to you on that. The largest tree is less than 24" in diameter. Around two dozen trees larger than 12".

I would do some more research on their thought process, and what their expectations of what the finished job should look like. Also see if another job has been done to these specs, so you can see what their expectations are. 10', shoulder height, you are still trying to snake logs out of an absolute mess.

If they aren't able to point to a similar job... huge red flag.

For some reason it reminds me of a job I did after the bastrop fire. Lady had 20 or so dead pines, and decided she would have her brother in law do the cleanup, just wanted to pay to have them dropped safely, but was only willing to pay for one day of cutting. So I dropped them all in a day, and created a 20 foot high tangled mess.... her brother ran away screaming, and it cost her double to have us clean it up.

I tell that story to make a point, there may be some unreasonable expectations here, and you could get caught in the middle.

It's ok to leave the trees where they lay, but drop them in the river if possible (fish habitat). My preference would be to yard them all out into the river and not leave a tangled mess.

There is absolutely no value to leaving a tree stump 10’ high…

To be fair, just because you and I aren't aware of a benefit doesn't mean there isn't one. I'm told it's for habitat. I can see how that might be true, but the issue is really cost vs benefit. From what I'm reading here, leaving these 10' stumps is going to be costly to me and dangerous for whoever has to do the cutting.

Sounds nuts to me. Do you know anyone with a helicopter?

A helicopter dropped an old growth log ('4 diameter, 35' long fir) in my backyard once. Make a heck of a crater. I'm currently looking for a chain saw carver, do you know anyone?

To be fair, just because you and I aren't aware of a benefit doesn't mean there isn't one. I'm told it's for habitat. I can see how that might be true, but the issue is really cost vs benefit. From what I'm reading here, leaving these 10' stumps is going to be costly to me and dangerous for whoever has to do the cutting.
Did they say what kind of habitat? If the idea is to create nesting trees, 10' is too short anyway. How far will the cable car be off the ground? Could you leave the spars taller?

The corridor is for a aerial cable car. I don't know the reason for the constraint, but it's what the permit requires. I suspect it has something to do with preserving habitat, or possible preserving the root ball.
From what you have written so far, I take it that you do not own the island?
Does the island ever flood? Who is the permit issuer? I live on and next to a river with an island and own approx. 1200 feet of river frontage. The island has mostly sycamore with some cottonwood. Some underbrush. I own a portion of the island as my deed goes to the center line of the river. The property owner on the other side owns the other portion of the island.
Cutting any of the trees is not permitted for any reason. The island is under the purview of our Division of Water as it contributes to, alters, and controls stream flow.
Years ago, my neighbor wanted to build a beech area on his side of the island for fishing and general recreation which would involve the removal of several trees. He was denied a permit for the above reason. The river is not navigable for large craft. Just small fishing boats. The island provides habitat for ducks, birds, deer, raccoons, river otter, etc.
I agree that 10' is a little odd but at least you have a permit. If the trees should be sycamore or cottonwood, they will sprout from the stump. The root ball will continue to hold soil and perhaps that is their reasoning. Good luck with your project what ever you decide to do. Just my two cents worth. :cool: OT

Back