Tornado oak score!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lumberjackchef

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
I do a lot of repair business and saw mods for
some local tree service companies and they started to take an interest in my milling. 1 guy calls me when he has big logs that need removed from the job site. my new landlord has a tow service and lets me rent his roll back for gas plus 20 bucks a trip. The tree service guy pays for gas and I get the logs. View attachment 229062View attachment 229063View attachment 229064View attachment 229065
You gotta love a good rollback with a hefty winch and a 21 foot bed!

Sent from my SCH-M828C using Tapatalk

Nope its some kinda oak. Ill put it under some magnification and id it tomorow.

Sent from my SCH-M828C using Tapatalk

I've picked up a few logs from Joplin, too. It is a shame there is so much terrific lumber going for firewood. Here are photos of a 44" x 10' black oak and a 38" x 7' sweetgum I picked up. The black oak showed 97 rings that I could count, and the sweetgum only 45. I used a chain saw (Lewis) winch to roll them up a ramp onto the flatbed trailer.

What do you mill with? I do most of my milling with a Norwood mill, but I'll probably slab these out with a chain saw mill.

BigOak_1.jpg

Parbkl_1.jpg

The log was 30' away from the nearest access and turned crosswise. It took nearly an hour to reel it in with a chain saw winch. Should mill it up in the next week or two.

Got something better than a metal detector! Those bi-metal blades chew through nails and spit them out (also chew through clamps and other sawmill-related metal). I put one on any time I suspect metal. They are more expensive than standard blades, don't cut as fast, and they're not as smooth, but they have their place. Ceramic insulators and cement filling will still destroy any blade.

This walnut log had grown around a mesh wire fence (probably used as a fence post). I cut through more than 50 strands of wire and nails. I'll call it inlay and double the price!

_Wire_04.jpg

If you want to know what kind of Oak it is, just find the leaves and acorns at the site and that will be the tell-all.
There are many types of Oak of course. All make beautiful lumber and the crappy stuff burns SOOOO good too.
Nice score.

Latest posts

Back