Toss the spark arrestor or...

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

livemusic

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
At this time, wondering about Stihl ms200 and a Stihl 026; I bought both of them used, haven't used them very much. I just removed the spark arrestor on the ms200 as I've used it more. It's gunked up pretty good. What now to do? I could clean it but prefer max power, so, would like to remove it. Options I see...

1 leave all out... spark arrestor and screw removed
2 insert the screw back in
3 cut the guts out of the spark arrestor (about 90% of it, leaving only the bracket lip that the screw inserts into) and then insert the bracket lip and screw back in

I saw a video one time where a guy did that to an ms201, I think it was, not a ms200. I dunno why he did that. Would it better to do this (No. 3 above) so the screw hole doesn't get gunked up, and, if so, why does it matter? I figure there's a reason, lol. What is the best option?

I am not concerned about forest fires here, we rarely have fires around here. But I'll be observant!

Clean it and put it back in. You don’t lose enough with a clean one to make a difference. Keeping them clean is part of saw maintenance. Running the right mix and keeping the tune correct is key to getting more time between them needing to be cleaned.

So, you guys think there is no power advantage to removing the spark arrestor. Interesting, based on forum threads and youtubes, apparently, a lot of people disagree, lol. Sure is a lot of controversy in chainsawing!

Now, I could ask, "Should I do muffler mods to improve performance?" lol

So, you guys think there is no power advantage to removing the spark arrestor. Interesting, based on forum threads and youtubes, apparently, a lot of people disagree, lol. Sure is a lot of controversy in chainsawing!

And be sure to add, "What's the best 2-cycle oil?"

I've seen guys pull the power steering pump belts off of 400+ HP race cars to gain the 12 horse power it takes to run the pump, and still loose races. I would think you would gain a small percentage of power, but how much is a small percentage of almost none. I'd just get a bigger saw. I seldom make it a month without getting a couple new saws, but. that's just me.

If your looking for a little boost open up the flap a bit with a screw driver. You can still use your spark arrestor.

Latest posts

Back