Total greenhorn struggling w/ every saw i own, please help....??!!!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Update of my struggles

so i ended up plugging the 021 carb impulse port n' drilling out the brass plugged impulse port that lined up w/ the impulse, but still couldn't get it 2 stay running so i decided 2 reinstall the original carb just 2 see what would happen.. after a thorough blow out w/ the air compressor of the air filter n' such and some tinkering w/ the idle adjust and lo' n' behold, i got it going..!! =] made bout three cuts w/ it n' ran outta gas so i went 2 town n' got a fresh gallon of fuel , a bottle of 2 stroke mix n' a quart of bar oil. came home , filled up all the fluids , sharpened the chain, n' then the damn thing wouldn't stay running again..!!! >=@ fiddled w/ it for 10-15 min, got it going, made bout 8 more cuts n' it died out again...!!! i'm so damned confused n' frustrated ...any advice...??? also, in the stihl repair manuals that i've SOOOO gratefully recieved from this AWESOME site, there's frequent references made to -troubleshooting chart-see "standard repairs, troubleshooting handbook"- anyone got one of those that they'd be willing 2 send me..?? thnx so much for everyone's guidance thus far and in the future , i REALLY appreciate it..=]:msp_confused: :msp_confused:

so i ended up plugging the 021 carb impulse port n' drilling out the brass plugged impulse port that lined up w/ the impulse, but still couldn't get it 2 stay running so i decided 2 reinstall the original carb just 2 see what would happen.. after a thorough blow out w/ the air compressor of the air filter n' such and some tinkering w/ the idle adjust and lo' n' behold, i got it going..!! =] made bout three cuts w/ it n' ran outta gas so i went 2 town n' got a fresh gallon of fuel , a bottle of 2 stroke mix n' a quart of bar oil. came home , filled up all the fluids , sharpened the chain, n' then the damn thing wouldn't stay running again..!!! >=@ fiddled w/ it for 10-15 min, got it going, made bout 8 more cuts n' it died out again...!!! i'm so damned confused n' frustrated ...any advice...??? also, in the stihl repair manuals that i've SOOOO gratefully recieved from this AWESOME site, there's frequent references made to -troubleshooting chart-see "standard repairs, troubleshooting handbook"- anyone got one of those that they'd be willing 2 send me..?? thnx so much for everyone's guidance thus far and in the future , i REALLY appreciate it..=]:msp_confused: :msp_confused:

One thing you might try is to check the gas tank vent. I think those have an odd looking vent on the upper left side of the tank, it's usually black plastic, if I remember right. It sounds to me like the tank isn't venting.

On the literature try the "Beg for Manuals" thread here on AS.

oh yeah, i forgot 2 mention, after it dies out i can hear an intermittent hissing noise coming from the tank vent, like it's sucking in air, for like an hour. i figured that was normal, cuz the vents equalizing the pressure in the tank . i recently replaced the tank vent w/ a new onme from the stihl shop...

oh yeah, i forgot 2 mention, after it dies out i can hear an intermittent hissing noise coming from the tank vent, like it's sucking in air, for like an hour. i figured that was normal, cuz the vents equalizing the pressure in the tank . i recently replaced the tank vent w/ a new onme from the stihl shop...

I don't think that's normal...

Does it run with the gas cap off? If so, then the vent hole is plugged and you need a new cap (or clean the vent hole on the old one).

2 steps forward, one step back...=/ and a BIG THNX 2 ALL WHO REPLIED

so i took apart the saw entirely again w/ the intention of just double checking all the components individually, and in the process found the problem..!! the impulse line from the carb 2 the engine was pinched shut because the manifold hadn't been re-installed properly. so i re fit the impulse 2 where it was supposed 2 be, re-installed the original carb, put it all back together, reset the carb 2 default n' fired her up n' she ran like a champ..!! for bout a minute .... i hadn't tightened the flywheel nut tight enough apparently cuz it sheared off the woodruff key where it slides onto the crankshaft...=[ cALLED the stihl saw shop n' they said $80 for a new flywheel...??!!! an entire brand new 018 only costs like $140 ....wtf...??!!! so i'm now scouring ebay for a new flywheel n' then i'll be all set..thnx soooo much 4 everyone's input n' advice VERY much appreciated

so i took apart the saw entirely again w/ the intention of just double checking all the components individually, and in the process found the problem..!! the impulse line from the carb 2 the engine was pinched shut because the manifold hadn't been re-installed properly. so i re fit the impulse 2 where it was supposed 2 be, re-installed the original carb, put it all back together, reset the carb 2 default n' fired her up n' she ran like a champ..!! for bout a minute .... i hadn't tightened the flywheel nut tight enough apparently cuz it sheared off the woodruff key where it slides onto the crankshaft...=[ cALLED the stihl saw shop n' they said $80 for a new flywheel...??!!! an entire brand new 018 only costs like $140 ....wtf...??!!! so i'm now scouring ebay for a new flywheel n' then i'll be all set..thnx soooo much 4 everyone's input n' advice VERY much appreciated

....sawboy......you're fine! The key is only for alignment as you found out! Just clean the taper on both the shaft and flywheel well with come carb or brake cleaner (get it really clean...grease free!) and align the flywheel up and tighten the nut to specs this time! Just be sure as you're tightening that things stay aligned as things can slip until it's tight!

....sawboy......you're fine! The key is only for alignment as you found out! Just clean the taper on both the shaft and flywheel well with come carb or brake cleaner (get it really clean...grease free!) and align the flywheel up and tighten the nut to specs this time! Just be sure as you're tightening that things stay aligned as things can slip until it's tight!

WHOA REALLY.....????!!!
AWESOME....!!!! =] =] =] i'm gonna go try that rigt now..!! i'll let ya know how it works out. =]

so i went ahead n' did as ya described n' used an impact wrench 2 tighten down the nut on the flywheel n' put it back together n' it fired right up n' ran like a champ 4 bout 20 min or so , i made bout 12-15 cuts w/ it n' then it died as if it was out of gas , but it wasn't n' when i started it back up it exhibited the same problem it initially had, ie. it would choke out when i pulled the throttle all the way...=[ is it possible that the flywheel shifted position and as a result the timing is off....?? =[ =[[

Latest posts

Back