total NEWB,... Buy a refurb Husky 455R or a Stihl 290 Farmboss?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Work smarter not harder, I'll take a 15# ready to cut saw with way more power any day over a 17.5# ready to cut so so power saw any day. Steve

I prefer to work hard AND smart as it's not in my nature to take it easy. I also utilize the tool(s) that I have onhand, whether it's ideal for the job or not.

I prefer to work hard AND smart as it's not in my nature to take it easy. I also utilize the tool(s) that I have onhand, whether it's ideal for the job or not.

Yea, if the tools you have onhand are the only ones you have then thats fine. But if you have the choice then I'm sure you would grab the better tool for the job too. I like to work hard too, but I can get alot more work done if I am better equipped for the task at hand. I know sometimes I end up beating on something with a crescent wrench too, but it's just not idea. :msp_biggrin:

My opinion: MS261 or 346xp. After finally running a 261, I'd take it over the 346xp, thats JMO.

If somebody considers a Rancher 455 "heavy" then maybe they shouldn't be handling a saw to begin with. And yes I've used the saw for hours at a time with no fatigue. May bother some, just not me. Honestly I appreciate a bit of heft in a saw (or a drill, etc) as it keeps things a bit more stable IMO.

Light weight would make a difference if I were climbing/limbing, but otherwise not an issue. I know many like to have maximum power/minimum weight, but for the majority of saw users it simply isn't necessary.

I know we are talking about for the occasional homeowner work, but still the 455 feels heavy and bigger than need be to me. I know I'm an Echo fan, but I'd take the 500P or higher over the 455 anyday. Now if price or use wasn't an issue I'd step right up to a Stihl or Husky pro series saw, but really for my uses anything that spins a chain fairly well works. And you have to imagine if you don't cut a lot of trees you are not going to be used to handling a saw, bending, crouching, ect.. So those couple extra pounds probably would make a difference by the end of the day.

I own a 290 Farm Boss and it has done everything I ask of it. I've also used the bosses 455 Rancher and that also has done everything I asked of it. So I would not be afraid of either one. There dang close to the same in power and weight. So I guess my question for the OP is which dealer is closer and buy accordingly.

Well let's see. I would go down an buy a pack of Stihl ultra and receive an extra year warranty for your saw. Any problems with it, take it back and they will fix it unless you straight gas it. The 290 was made to do exactly what your asking for. No it's not a pro saw but it's a pretty darn good one.

what about a used rebuilt husky 362xp or a used jonsered 2171 with 20" bars for $400?

Im open to a good used woods ported saw if it gets me a bigger and better saw than a smaller new one at the same price.

new 290s can still be bought here for $329.Husqvarna 353s are around $409.I really like the look and feel of the 353.Ive used a 290 alot ,thought it was way to heavy for no more power than it has.But its a very reliable saw that always starts easy and gets the job done.Theres also a dealer in California that sells Jonsereds online,his prices seem very reasonable.Jonsered makes some good stuff

I've been using an Stihl 025 since '98 and all I ever had to do to it was replace the carb last fall. Otherwise, it starts when I need it and cuts right through all but stuff over a foot in diameter. It's been a great saw. I've also been using an older 015 which always starts up with a few pulls. I made a deal today to buy a new Stihl 261 with an 18" bar. That should take care of pretty much anything I'll be getting into. I stuck with Stihl as I know the guys at the local shop and they take good care of me. They have a really good repair shop, so I wanted to keep doing business with them and the two saws I have experience with have been great. thanks, dwc

I've said this before a few times so here goes again: If you pay $380 for a saw, you will buy chains,files,filters,gas,oil, protective equipment etc etc and you will be into it for a grand in no time. Absolutely overnight. If you pay $510 for a saw you will be into it for $1130 in no time. (ms290 vs 346xp)

That $130 outlay/difference gets smaller by the dollar spent. That approximately 33% difference becomes a single digit percentage rapidly. A single digit outlay is similar to insurance for a better built saw PLUS you actually HAVE a better working saw.

I have nothing against a 290 or 455 or 250. Many people swear by them. I own a ms250 so the above is from experience. I like my ms250 a lot, especially after the muffler mod. But if I could do it over, I would have bought the 260 on the shelf next to it. It is built better and thus a better investment.

I'd chose a 346xp or a ms261 as my first saw if I were buying tomorrow. I own and love both brands...

So im a total newb here who's planning on clearing a fair amount of good brush and small trees from a friends ranch and then cleaning and storing the saw till the next big hurricane.

Im looking for a good saw that will be medium duty use but will last a lifetime i guess.

Also, i can see how this chainsaw stuff can get extremely addictive. Im already watching those hotsaws while in complete awe!

Anyhow, should i get a husky 455R refurbished for 300 or a stihl 290 farmboss new for 380.00 ish?
You've not said what you plan to cut with this saw over a lifetime. While the saw will no doubt last a lifetime, your needs and attitudes will change many times over that same lifetime.

I own a 455 which I bought new in 2009 for blocking firewood. Paid for itself compared to buying blocked wood by the cord. However, I've learned a lot since then and would not have bought the 455 or Farmboss today. My 455 has been stone reliable so not knocking it, just didn't know then what I know now.

Recently purchased a 435 refurb which is much lighter and more nimble for limbing and trail clearing projects. At $142 a great starting point. Perhaps would meet your needs too?

Explain exactly what you'll be cutting and you'll get many good cost effective suggestions.

Some thoughts from another Noob

CS-600P on ebay is a great saw for the money but if you are ok with a used saw, start calling the home depots in your area. Look for a 6401 Rental saw (Makita). Same as a Dolmar 6400, same bottom end as a 7900. For around $200 bucks is an amazing saw.

Between the two listed, doesn't really matter. Yes, it's addictive. I have picked up 4 saws in about 2 months (435 Refurb first, 600P from Ebay, 6401 Makita, 9000 Maikita). I'm big boring the 6401 for the $130 bucks from Baileys so you would have a great avenue to upgrade and have a 79-85cc saw if you went that route.

If I may add a small coment. First of all we must diferentiate between need and want.

Want
Obviously you want a saw that will teach others that you have a bigger one. So neither of your choices is going to make you happy. For that purpose you will need at least a 60cc saw. The Echo or Dolmar/Makita mentioned earlier will full fill that role very well. A 70cc or up will make you even more happy but now you are talking about 800$ minimum for adequate quality.

Need
For your described use "small cutting and brushcleaning" a 40cc saw would be absolutey sufficient. Any Echo or Dolmar 420 will full fill that role.

From a personal standpoint I find the recomondation for a 353 the best so far if you can still find one. Not quite the hotrod the 346XP is but still a pro grade saw now slowly disapearing from the market but hardly slower than the 346. The others are a total waste of money and the idea of spending 1130$ for a complete set is just a plain joke for the average home owner who will begin cutting a little and has no futher plans of heating his home with 20 chords per year and supplying the county with firewood to justify his hobby! This is the typical hysterical AS site frenzy at it's best.
To bring this in perspective, many people do what you intend to do with a 35cc saw and are completely happy, until they come here and find out that they have not been cutting wood the last years but just making noise and burning gas. The heat from the fire that they have felt was purely an illusion from fumes comming out of their insufficient equipment. The 290/455 they have been using is just a boat anchor on their numerous fishing trips that has given them the security of not being spilled downstream. :rolleyes:

Welcome to the real world,

Last edited:
Talk to nmurph on here he sells 346xp for the price of the 2 you mentioned rhey are usually posted in the classifieds and ve never heard a bad thing about his saws. I have a 346xp but not from nmurph and i love it its my favorite saw to have in the tree besides my 200t or 201t.

Well let's see. I would go down an buy a pack of Stihl ultra and receive an extra year warranty for your saw. Any problems with it, take it back and they will fix it unless you straight gas it. The 290 was made to do exactly what your asking for. No it's not a pro saw but it's a pretty darn good one.

I will agree. I cut mostly oak for my heating needs. Already 50+ cords of wood. It's what I could afford at the time and don't regret it.

what about a used rebuilt husky 362xp or a used jonsered 2171 with 20" bars for $400?

Im open to a good used woods ported saw if it gets me a bigger and better saw than a smaller new one at the same price.

Husky, Stihl, Echos and a few others are all good saws. everone has their own preference, I personally would lean toward Stihl as that is what I grew up with, I thinks as a occassional user an MS391 would be the way to go less money but still a good saw, now if you are going to be using it a lot then I would opt for the MS361 pro grade saw, either one of these will do the job(To each their own), anything from the other name brands of similar size in the 60cc range would be fine, just my opinion

stihl 039

My Dad and I have used his older Stihl 039 for well over 15 years and cut hundreds of cord of wood with it and NEVER had a single problem, it had been an excellent saw, if and when it needs rebuilt I will not hesitate to do so

The OP didnt follow up but I know he bought a good running used Jonsered 2171 PHO for $300 plus $49 for USPS Priority 2 day shipping with tracking and insurance to beat hurricane coming in. Then another $51 for new 20" bar and 20" LGX chain combo.

This was back in the end of June.

Last edited:
JJ has the Inside scoop. I bought a 2171 and have been very pleased with it so far. Its a large saw to start off wity, and gets heavy carrying all day long doing timber and heavy brush clearing, but im starting to get hooked on these things and I'm almost wanting another orna bigger saw.... I think its a sickness around here :-/

I used the 2171 and a ms261 to fell a big tree about 2 weeks ago and they both performed admirably.

Later i sharpened the chain on the stihl and was told that it cut very well when i got done with it (surprisingly).

Im probably going out there again the end of this week/weekend to do some more work and clear out a bunch of crap around the lake with the saw and the tractor or 4 wheeler and a brush grabber and chain.

Howdy from Houston, & congrats on the 2171 :msp_thumbup:!

Where are you cutting? I'm guessing that you're seeing a lot of dead yellow pine from last years drought :msp_thumbdn:.

Back