Toughest, most indestructable saw ever built?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yall don't understand. Ive kept him in everything from a 372xp, 576xp, ms461, ms441c, hell Ive lost count of the saws hes destroyed ON THE YARD. Diesel in a chainsaw? YEP, hes done it, countless fuel tanks, handle bars, bushings, bars, you name it. And YES Ive tried making him pay for what he tears up, it doesn't make any difference! Hes crushed them with logs, dropped logs on them, ground them up sitting on the turntable of the knuckleboom, you name it! I need something INDESTRUCTABLE! You can find help, so replacing him isn't an option.
I’m thinking you are the one who doesn’t understand. This the same fella (relative if I remember correctly) from a thread a few weeks ago? I’d be cheaper to just pay him to stay away it sounds like. I know you are trying to help but there isn’t a saw made to withstand him.

Like the title says, what is the toughest, most indestructible saw ever built? Whatever it is, I NEED ONE! Guy that works for me bucking logs on the yard could tear up and anvil with a rubber hammer! He needs something with no anti vibe, no springs, no bushings, nothing except a rock solid design that he cant break in half! I don't care if it weighs 50 lbs and only has a chain speed of 200 rpms, he has GOT to stop tearing stuff up!
Sounds like my brother... He broke a big bench vice casting... broke the claws off a hammer...

That was exactly my question! I never got an answer and never will as he passed away about 4 1/2 years ago. He suffered a job site spinal cord injury that took years to kill him with infections.
That is too bad. There was a time when I repaired ventilators for spinal cord patients that were quads.
That is tough.

Pay for him to take some training. Mandatory.

Or have an instructor follow him around for a while.

If he isn't competent enough to not break your ****, he might need training to see how it's done right. Sounds cheaper than the repair costs.

If he is already skilled enough, and is doing it just to be a prick or out of carelessness, well that's a bigger issue.

Sounds like a buddy of mine, tear up an anvil. He owned a tree service and was ruff on equipment. Employees didn't have to worry about tearing stuff up because the Bossman expected them to work everything to the max. They serviced everything properly but anything not up to the job would quickly fail. Employees loved working for him because they never had to baby equipment. If a saw chain got dull, change saws, another worker would put another chain on that saw. Each afternoon they serviced the equipment for the next day.

Yall don't understand. Ive kept him in everything from a 372xp, 576xp, ms461, ms441c, hell Ive lost count of the saws hes destroyed ON THE YARD. Diesel in a chainsaw? YEP, hes done it, countless fuel tanks, handle bars, bushings, bars, you name it. And YES Ive tried making him pay for what he tears up, it doesn't make any difference! Hes crushed them with logs, dropped logs on them, ground them up sitting on the turntable of the knuckleboom, you name it! I need something INDESTRUCTABLE! You can find help, so replacing him isn't an option.
Sadly common sense isn't a teachable thing I work with some pretty brain dead people at my job also I have to watch the idiots to keep from hurting me as much as I have to watch what i am doing safely Good luck on it I don't think they make such a saw if he is that irresponsible on stuff ..

He would break heavy-built saws just the same. Get a cheaper saw and stick with the same model so that you get parts to scavenge from & fix when they break. Something simple. Probably a stihl 0xx will be better here than a stihl msxx0.

You could change your employment agreement where you pay him more as a contractor but he supplies his own equipment. When your employee has more "skin"
in the game he will begin to improve his habits as he is financially responsible for his
equipment. Employ him as chainsaw services and pay more per hour to include equipment cost and maintenance.... or pay for production. ie number of trees times
times diameters etc.

Toughest saws i remember owning C5 and C52's Homelites. Had some tall thick bars with .404 chain, Handles and all mounted solid and they would cut about 40 minutes on a tank of gas. Far from modern day chainspeed but tough to harm. I had a 20 inchish oak barberchair come down in an instant and slam 1 into the ground with little damage. Would of destroyed pretty much any saw i own today I believe.

Toughest saws i remember owning C5 and C52's Homelites. Had some tall thick bars with .404 chain, Handles and all mounted solid and they would cut about 40 minutes on a tank of gas. Far from modern day chainspeed but tough to harm. I had a 20 inchish oak barberchair come down in an instant and slam 1 into the ground with little damage. Would of destroyed pretty much any saw i own today I believe.
Give him his own saw. Then tell him if he breaks it he fixes it out of his pocket. The sacrifice of one saw will more than pay for it. After some down time without pay he’ll figure out another way to use it.

How do you break the claws off a hammer.
Been there, done that - prolly cheap Chinese hammer though ...
He would break heavy-built saws just the same. Get a cheaper saw and stick with the same model so that you get parts to scavenge from & fix when they break. Something simple. Probably a stihl 0xx will be better here than a stihl msxx0.
That is the best advice in this thread so far IMHO.

That said, I have a number of old Tanaka saws (ECS-351, ECS-415, ECS-506). I haven't abused them enough to really tell, but every time I pick one up I can't help but feeling that I have something rock solid and indestructible in my hands. The 34cc 351 must weigh about as much as a modern 70cc. The other saws that give me that thrill (a tad less maybe) are the old Dolmar 123, 133 etc. Hard to believe that there are any hollow spaces in the package - feels like solid steel ...

But truly: Go with TreeHuggerMasochist's advice.

Like the title says, what is the toughest, most indestructible saw ever built? Whatever it is, I NEED ONE! Guy that works for me bucking logs on the yard could tear up and anvil with a rubber hammer! He needs something with no anti vibe, no springs, no bushings, nothing except a rock solid design that he cant break in half! I don't care if it weighs 50 lbs and only has a chain speed of 200 rpms, he has GOT to stop tearing stuff up!
Stihl 07

I think the saw I gave the most grief to was an old little red Homelite. It could only do so much, being kind of small - but you couldn't kill the thing. I lost it in a move at some point. :(

You could change your employment agreement where you pay him more as a contractor but he supplies his own equipment. When your employee has more "skin"
in the game he will begin to improve his habits as he is financially responsible for his
equipment. Employ him as chainsaw services and pay more per hour to include equipment cost and maintenance.... or pay for production. ie number of trees times
times diameters etc.
That's exactly the agreement we have, I pay him x amount per foot to get them to the mill, he furnishes his own loader and trucks. I may have to add him furnishing his own chainsaws to that arrangement as well. After he crushed the ms461 I made him buy a ms441c that another guy on my crew had for sale to replace the 461, it doesn't matter, hes gonna tear **** up whether its mine, his, or the Popes!

Latest posts

Back