Towable lift

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Toby

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I've only been in the business for a couple of years and it's gotten to the point where I think I need to buy a lift. I can't make up my mind if I should buy a bucket truck or the towable Genie lift that has a height of 50 ft.
I live in a small community, so I'm not rushing from job to job. I do maybe 2 or 3 jobs a week during our short summer.
Any advice would be appreciated.

re

ive used them and they are extremely slow, the one i used was a bil-jax i think, and the concept was cool, but it was worth ????, theyre not made for tree work

farmboss, WRONG!

tow behinds are very well worth a look at!! & most mfg`s state its uses & tree work is included. the biljax(workforce) is not a bad lift however! rental companies if this is where your aquantance was made with this style machine is a lil misleading. most rental companies turn the governor down(slower operation) meaning more rental time. the hydraulic pressure valves are usually 1/2 open again more rental time!!

weigh out the return from the purchase, is it worth it?

for instance I have a genie lift tmz50/30 I love it all the bells and whistles but if I compare it to the ameriquip I used to own my return is not much better. but my machine is more modern & set up is alot easier.

certain lift makers brag about getting into tight spaces & for the price of one of these machines I could hire a good climber on weekends(if I didnt climb myself) and do tight area jobs for along time.

choose the lift based on your needs and if enough return will be generated, back to your question YES towbehinds are good for tree work along with other things. you can always make money with it!!!!

LXT................................

Towable lifts

Thanks for your input Farmboss and LXT.
A dealer in Detroit told me I could rent one for the summer to see if it's what I want. He was supposed to call back with some figures but didn't. I'm sure it would be very high. I should probably just buy one and sell it if it's not what I need.
As a small time tree service, I just hate to buy a bucket truck and have it sitting most of the time. A towable sitting in the barn wouldn't bother me much. I won't be thinking about what it's costing in insurance, plates, etc.
The salesman I talked to told me 36,000. I don't know if this was a bare-bones lift or not. He didn't seem real familiar with the TMZ-50.

I buy almost everything new, but should I consider used? And, is Genie better then BilJax?

I used the Eagle by Ameriquip on many occasion, I like it better then Genie.

It would be good to try out a number of products.

They are cost effective compared to a bucket truck, but a bucket will be much more versitle. They do not replace a bucket. They are hared to position, and need a lot of moving. You can not layover the boom...

But at 1/4 to 1/3 the price of a good bucket truck.

toby,

the tmz 50/30 is what I own yr2001, its a very good lift I owned an ameriquip only problem is they are no longer in production, also a good lift!!!

a genie can be bought used for around $18-$24000.00, work height of 56.6ft!

depending on what you are doing they are just as versatile as a bucket truck, Ive had mine in places a bucket couldnt go. Think about the rental potential too I charge $200 a day(8hrs) I stay with the machine, I dont help!! Im just there so no abuse on my machine takes place & to collect the money!!

some say the track lifts are able to go anywhere(and that may be) but with a 4x4,winch system, alturnamats & a lil driver skill you can access!!! alot of places. the 36inch gate opening makes me laugh!!!! if its that inaccessible climb it(some dont do this or cant) but weigh out the costs and view many machines. Ive owned eagle(ameriquip) & Genie tmz50/30(currently) both I would recommend.

LXT...............................

towables

Thanks for the responses. I've thought hard about each one. Genie finally did call back and left a message. 34,500. I can swing that.
I get no reaction from my wife when I mention that price, but when I talk Spiderlifts (she knows the prices) she goes on the internet and prints off the new house that she says is more important to our family then a lift.
I've read everything about Spiderlifts. They sound great, but right now 34500 sounds less risky as a business decision, then 55000 to 60000 for about the same height. And the one I would really like is the 76 footer for 120000. Right now, I just think I better be careful with money. Especially since MI seems to be in terrible financial shape. Almost everyone I know is nervous about the economy.

Again, thanks for all your input. Very much appreciated.
Maybe I'll be getting in touch with next year Ryan.

And they are a site sponsor!

The thing I like the best about these is the proportional electric over hydraulic controls

Post deleters more like it.

electric over hydraulics is very nice untill they go bad, I had a prportional valve go bad on my lift the MFG replaced it free of charge & my lift is a 2001 now thats service!!! only thing about electric & hydralics is if they sit unused for a time the contactcs gum up(a lil deoxidant spray & there good to go) but still a pain.

congradulations Toby on your Genie, its a good lift!!!! I too wouldnt mind given the spider a try, but that price is ridiculous!!!! tryin to get that back, I dont know!!!

LXT................................

34,500. I can swing that.

That is they way to go, build the buisness first. The thing about the small TBL's is that any truck can do it. With the Siders you have a heavy traler and need a big truck.

My client who will be getting his 100ft Teupen already has a Frieghtliner...

I just don t see it. Toby s question is portable lift or truck mount (rear mount I hope) bucket truck, not is a port lift good for tree work. He s got 34,500$ and his wife is anxious about the purchase and will be watching the return from investment. It is a complete no brainer. The bucket, say a 55 ft , will increase his current 3 job a week income and pay for itself much quicker than one of those delicate sissy portable lifts that a good limb swing prob would knock right over. The set up time and inability to adjust position quickly would drive me nuts. I would consider one only after a bucket, then a starter , say 8 ton 48 foot crane and then maybe if I got more and more scared to climb in back yards. You are going to find a great bucket truck for 34,500. Just search used forestry and tree equipment, talk to your bank and they will prob want you to buy from a dealer as opposed to private. You can pay someone well versed in pickers to inspect prior to purchase..

The reputable dealers I've looked at want a lot more then that for a bucket that has been inspected and certified.

Maybe it is that there are only a few companies that refurb them around here.

But then you have to budget for the maintinance cost, insurance...

The reputable dealers I've looked at want a lot more then that for a bucket that has been inspected and certified.

Maybe it is that there are only a few companies that refurb them around here.

But then you have to budget for the maintinance cost, insurance...
You know I got a lot of respect for pretty much anything you comment on JPS. But sometimes I suspect you, in your position as administrator are required/suggested to support new products in addition to sponsors of this site. Also I occassionally suspect some of the people w threads and replies may be fabricated to showcase these products in a favorable light. I , of course could be completely wrong. But if Toby wants to buy a new port lift instead of a used 34,000 used aerial truck, am I the only one that thinks it seems to be just plain crazy? I m talking only experienced tree guys here, with no vested interest.

I think a boom truck is the way to go, not saying a Spidie or Genie wouldn't be cool and useful but think about it. I have looked around the net, there are many decent boom trucks in that price range. You can park your boom truck in someones driveway and climb in thier back yard, its there, with all your stuff, people see it and come and ask you for quotes, often to do trees the bucket will reach. A huge rolling advertisment that can hold all your tools securely (locking toolboxes with pins, so you have to raise the dump to open them), an office, a chip truck, a chipper puller, a moving truck for stuff totally unrelated to treework. You can drive down the road trimming for a utility, hop in it in the middle of the night for a storm damage call, sleep in it if your really tired, and so on. Most of all you can use the boom, my advice is to get a High Ranger on a good chassis, remember, the boom is the most important part of a boom truck, you can always put it on something else.

Shall we assume Toby can't climb? Otherwise i see no sense in getting a lift before a bucket, especially if you can climb.

If you are only doing 2 or 3 jobs a week during the summer, how many trees do you run into that actually need a lift? We do hundreds of takedown every year, all year around, and we run into only about 2 trees a year in which a lift is absolutely necessary. Everything else can be reached with a bucket, climbed, or swung into from another point (whether it be another tree or a crane or something else entirely.)

towables

I've been climbing since I got into the business (2 years). Had an experienced climber teach me everything I know, even though I know I'm still green at this.
I consider myself pretty good at it, but in the last 9-12 months I feel like I'm 40 (my actual age) instead of the 23 I felt like prior to that. I'm still in great shape but I realize now that this is the only body I have and I want to play with my grandchildren someday.
I love work and I love being in trees; I just feel it's time to grow up and do things the smart way.
Someone replied if I go with a bucket truck to go with a rear mounted one. I thought one of the mid-mounted ones with a rear chip box would be a good idea. Am I wrong here?
Also, someone was wondering about only doing 2-3 jobs a week. I live in a small town a long way from everything, so theres not a big market. Thats why I was thinking of a towable; I don't feel like I have to rush from job to job.
I don't know what to do, but I know I have to do something quick. I have 3 jobs waiting that I don't think any climber would touch. At least not many. I agreed to do them during the winter because of my plans to make the purchase this spring.

Thanks for the ear and any input

Rental on twable booms is pretty convenient around here. Easy to get a 50' platform for under $250 for 24 hours. We buried a Dodge 2500 in a yard with a 50 foot lift this fall. Used the GRCS to pull the boom out at the end of the day. Automatic self leveling and a 4 wheeler, 2 guys, GRCS, bobcat or muck truck can easily move the thing around. I think biljax is the one we like with a knuckle at the base, ath the elbow and a 5 foot jib for the platform.

Toby,

I also am a small time, part time or "hobby climber"! Was looking at buying a used TMZ-50/30 over a year ago. I found that it was more practical (for me) to rent one at $220.00 @ day then to buy one.

I think they are very practical and with an ATV to tow into back yards also very versatile for the investment! Maintenance would be less than a bucket truck as well as insurance costs etc.

Then there is the added income from renting the unit if you choose to do so. If you decide it isn't working out for you, you'd likely have a better chance of selling it over a bucket truck. Not only tree services but building contractors would have a use for a portable lift!

Every tool or equipment has its place...the question is simple: "Does it fit your needs to turn a profit and to provide for your family"??? Only you (and your wife) can answer this question! Good luck and let us know what you decide. HC

We also sell a trailer for the (100) footer that costs around $5,800. Nice rig. lightweight and easy to tow with a 1 ton pickup.

Ryan

I assume that you do not have a 10 ft lift :)
True, but we are talking about micro companies that are often startups or in busness for a few years. You have a one-ton masonary bed with a box on it towing a chipper, and quite often the second truck is an S-10 or the like to often to tow the stumper around. These can easily tow the little TBL's around.

I do think your product is amazing, and cannot wait to use one in production, but I have to agree that it is a huge capitol outlay for a small company to get into if they do not have the regular work to support it "out of the gate".

But sometimes I suspect you, in your position as administrator are required/suggested to support new products in addition to sponsors of this site.

Thanks for the support Ryan.

Every once and a while these weird comments come out, I have absolutly no reason, finacial or otherwise to promote any product here. All of us, except for Darin and his wife are purely volunteer (and they were running this site at a loss for years).

I like what I like and speek my mind, in a (mostly) courtious fashion. Though sometimes my pentiant for irony and toung-in-cheek gets the better of me. Is there anyone marketing a TBL on the site?

Last edited:
I think a boom truck is the way to go, not saying a Spidie or Genie wouldn't be cool and useful but think about it. I have looked around the net, there are many decent boom trucks in that price range. You can park your boom truck in someones driveway and climb in thier back yard, its there, with all your stuff, people see it and come and ask you for quotes, often to do trees the bucket will reach. A huge rolling advertisment that can hold all your tools securely (locking toolboxes with pins, so you have to raise the dump to open them), an office, a chip truck, a chipper puller, a moving truck for stuff totally unrelated to treework. You can drive down the road trimming for a utility, hop in it in the middle of the night for a storm damage call, sleep in it if your really tired, and so on. Most of all you can use the boom, my advice is to get a High Ranger on a good chassis, remember, the boom is the most important part of a boom truck, you can always put it on something else.
This was at the very end of page one, maybe it got skipped over. No one really beefed with this except Ryan, he said why pay 35k for a used bucket truck when you have to pay regi, taxes, fuel etc. and they have air brakes? You have to pay all that anyways for your tow vehicle and some for your trailer don't you? And only some bucket trucks have airbrakes. I have looked at Ryans website, those are some very cool looking machines, they seem very capable, but as a young guy starting out, I believe a boom truck is the way to go for you.

Back