tracked loader vs skid loader vs compact tractor

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This is how we ride., plywood and ramps fit in tall box to the right.

Is that a NPR, NQR, NRR?? What body do you have on it? I've had an NQR for a long time and looking at getting another or the NRR sometime soon hopefully.

shed & machine.jpg

I bought this Guy & with the non skid shoes you can pretty much drive on grass & not do alot of damage, It goes through a 4ft gate & does things a wheeled loader couldnt dream of........oh & with the beer holder you can quench your thirst on those hot days

LXT.....

of course I hear that a steiner is a wonderful machine for tree work........LOL

LXT.....

View attachment 334116

I bought this Guy & with the non skid shoes you can pretty much drive on grass & not do alot of damage, It goes through a 4ft gate & does things a wheeled loader couldnt dream of........oh & with the beer holder you can quench your thirst on those hot days

LXT.....
what did you steal that from the local coal mine?

Image.jpg Not a PJ dump trailer but still a 14'er with my s800
Nice. looking to get into one this year, trying not to finance. Whats the price tag on that machine? Do you guys use a grapple?
I also have a 7x14' PJ dump and I want something that will fill it. Tires of spending a full day after a takedown loading wood by hand and breaking our backs.

If you go with a compact tractor hydrostatic transmission is a must.

2tree and 101: are the dingo and mini's in general adequate for loading rounds/ logs into a dump trailer? Just wondering if they have the lift height and room infront of the machine to load over the side. Im sure you can use ramps and load from the back but that seems like it would be hard to fill a trailer that way.
I can load pieces up to 950lbs and to load a dump trailer I can dump over the sides of that

Is that a NPR, NQR, NRR?? What body do you have on it? I've had an NQR for a long time and looking at getting another or the NRR sometime soon hopefully.

It is a NQR with a diesel engine. I love the cab over, and love the platform for the mini. But I do miss the 4x4 and the power of my old F450. If I had to do it over again, I would have went with a bigger engine...I think even the NRR has the same engine as a NPR. I had seen a few with bigger engines, more horsepower, but they are hard to find. The NRR would handle the the weight better, suspension wise. I dont think I am over weight with the NQR, never got it weighed. But I know the constant weight of mini etc is hard on the front shocks, I used to bounce...now we get jarred.

The truck I wish I would have went with is the cab over gmc t7500, or something similar to it. Not sure I would have fit in my garage then.

All in all, I am happy with the truck and I am not looking to get rid of it anytime soon.

Same engine. Larger rear end.
They don't make the six cylinder on this side if the pond anymore. You have to buy used.

Ya, the cab over design didnt really fly over here at first. All the companies pretty much stopped making them here. But it now seems like they are everywhere, and it is hard to find good used ones.

Ya, the cab over design didnt really fly over here at first. All the companies pretty much stopped making them here. But it now seems like they are everywhere, and it is hard to find good used ones.

I picked up a six cylinder UD right before they skipped town from North America. Parts and service are still solid from the Mack dealer in my state. I wish they had a 4x4 available over here.

They engine and drivetrain are just soooooo accessible with a cab over dump. Service is a breeze.

If you go with a compact tractor hydrostatic transmission is a must.

I would try the Shuttle Shift....you will get more power out of it than one with a hydro.....the hydro are a nice convenience but the why pay to lose power.

I would try the Shuttle Shift....you will get more power out of it than one with a hydro.....the hydro are a nice convenience but the why pay to lose power.
Not to mention a clutch (although a PIT to change having to split the unit) is a lo cheaper to do than replacing a hyd pump. A frend bought a BX25 Kubota and for a baby tractor it's pretty handy and useful. I was plenty surprised at what it can lift (although it's still easy to find the limits if you're used to a 60-75hp tractor), it is a hyd unit as is very convenient for loader work, but if I was buying it it would be a shuttle shift.

I have been think about getting a NPR eventually for deliveries though as it seems like the mileage and maneuverability would be huge pluses when driving in town. A dump bed would be even better.
To the OP if you're having to go through a lot of residential gates a mini might be your best friend. If not, either a segmented, , tractor or articulated wheel skid-steer would likely be better choices than a true skid-steer.

Looks like I'm probably going to go with a john deere 320D or 320E skid. I really like my JD dealer here. Going with the full heat/ac cab option. Good advice from you guys about laying down plywood in the turn zone of the skid!

I just got through splitting my kubota. Not very fun

Back