Tracked Stump Grinders

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Xtra

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Has anyone used a self-propelled stump grinder with tracks?
If so, did it tear up the lawn while turning?

- Bob

We have a Vermeer 505 on tracks.with a 50 hp diesel engine. Yes it will tear up lawns. If the lawn is dry you might be able to turn with minimal damage, but usually it takes up hunks of turf on each turn. But other than that it is a great machine. With the auto sweep it has power to spare on large stumps. And it will go just about any place you want to go, and more. And with all of this power, you can get through a 36 in. gate.

Yes, it will tear hell out of lawns, customers will whine even though you tried to talk them out of grinding the stump anyway. The Rayco is a much bettter machine more manueverable than the Vermeer also grinds better.

Toro Dingo

On the 25th, Feb. I will go to a Dingo demo. they tell me that the tracked version turns by reversing one track and advancing the other. They (sales) say this really eliminates the tearing up of the ground.
I really like the idea of a multi-purpose machine. Seems a waste to dump all this money on a dedicated machine when you could have something that will dig planting holes, carry logs, load logs into a standard height truck bed, be able to mow brush etc. and be able to get into small gates and backyards, etc. etc.
I looked into the small skid steers for this reason and the small versions cannot power the stump grinder attachment.
I am really looking forward to this demo
Frans

From my understanding of this type of grinder, if you try to do a zero radius turn you WILL tear up the grass. However if you make wide turns you are fine. The machine WILL go anywhere though.

Re: Toro Dingo

Originally posted by Frans
On the 25th, Feb. I will go to a Dingo demo. they tell me that the tracked version turns by reversing one track and advancing the other. They (sales) say this really eliminates the tearing up of the ground.
I really like the idea of a multi-purpose machine. Seems a waste to dump all this money on a dedicated machine when you could have something that will dig planting holes, carry logs, load logs into a standard height truck bed, be able to mow brush etc. and be able to get into small gates and backyards, etc. etc.
I looked into the small skid steers for this reason and the small versions cannot power the stump grinder attachment.
Frans

hi frans if the dingo is like the bobcat i demod,its a peice of junk too slow and way underpowerd..cant beat purpose made equipment in my opinion,also the attachments are way too exspensive..i think if you bought one [dingo] you would be very frustrated with it in a short time

Re: Toro Dingo

Originally posted by Frans
Frans

may be i should have read your posting first:eek:

Latest posts

Back