Trade in defect ms280 for an 044

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

deelgaarddevil

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hi guys,

I am trying to get a deal on an 044 with 24 inch bar, looks nice from the pictures.
But here at home i am stuck with a defect ms280, what i am unable to fix and has each month another problem....
But my question is what should i look for if i am going to visit the seller.. does the 044 has certian weak spots

Greetz from holland!

(Pictures are coming!!)

Verstuurd vanaf mijn SM-A510F met Tapatalk

Pull the muffler and check the piston out. I would want to run it in some wood if possible also. Compression check if you have the tester.

I dont have a pressure tester.....
Any mcgyver solution?
I will look for the piston almost forgotten [emoji23]

No tester then gently lift by pull cord and if it drops easily no good. If it holds for a few seconds then drops one it's probably good. Unless locked up of course

Well the seller is from a garden tools centre that does refurbisch
chainsaw and weedwackers and stuff and he saids that it is in running condition.

Well the seller is from a garden tools centre that does refurbisch
chainsaw and weedwackers and stuff and he saids that it is in running condition.

If he is in the business of repairing the equipment then simply ask him to do a compression check and remove the muffler and have a look. Also see what he will give you in trade for your saw, as long as it is running he can spend just a few Euro and get it ready for sale.
Dooie!

I think you're best bet is to do the pull rope test as stated above and I would really want to pull the muffler off. What happened to the 044 to be refurbished? I'm sure this isn't a straight swap. What are you putting in with the 280?

Thats a good one! And for the trade in yeaa.... its just what he think its worth because it started with a new piston and cylinder then a carb kit and eventually it wouldn't idle at all . It will throtle and cut at full power just not a single bit of idle that 280 is cursed or something

I dont know the full story of the 044 just that it is in his shop and he is selling it on a dutch variant of ebay

I dont know the full story of the 044 just that it is in his shop and he is selling it on a dutch variant of ebay

I have bought many saws while in in the Emsland district, in Lower Saxony, and had no issues. It will be an aftermarket P/C and depending on the price could be a good deal. You are looking anywhere for 350-450 Euro for a complete OEM saw. Shipping in the EU is not too expensive so you can always get a deal. Now saying that the 280 can and is being sold for the same money. Not everyone needs such a big saw like that when most of the trees or firewood is less then 30 cm. I think you can do a trade and a little on top of that for yours.

Well it cost around 275€ so i was automaticly triggered to react on the advertisement and saw a good wat to lose my cursed 280 [emoji28] so.. i am waiting on a reaction from the seller and then i ask him to send some pics what i of course will share on this topic

well most 044 will need a very good pull, to get them going. my 23 year old one really needs to be drop started. 190 psi comp.

Well we will see, but i am not familiar with the 10mm cylinder you said what does it mean [emoji28][emoji28]

Some older 044s had a 10mm wrist pin and a Kolbenschmidt "D" cylinder, which is supposed to have better port timing and performance. They can be identified by slanted fins on top of the cylinder and the KS casting mark.

Plenty of threads on here about them...

If it has an original KS 10mm gudgeon pin cylinder in good condition that would be interesting. Although powerful saws the 10mm 044 has a number of known problems and they didn't generally last long in high use situations. Much has been written about this on this site.

Mine ran very well and was all OEM however I replaced it with an MS460 as this was a work saw and had to be reliable. My 044 10mm KS cylinder;

IMG_6584 (Large).JPG

Although externals don't tell the whole story it looks like your potential saw has been to the moon and back.

As others have suggested and at the very least;
Test compression as noted above
Pop the top cover to confirm it has a genuine 10mm KS cylinder
Are the piston and rings OEM, if not what are they?
Remove muffler to look at piston and cylinder wall
Remove plug and look at piston and cylinder wall

I would be very weary of buying this saw esp given it has come from a re-builder wanting to make money out of the trade. No doubt a similar saw will come your way, there are many good 70cc class pro saws made by Stihl, Husqvarna, Dolmar, etc and don't discount Echo or Shindawa which can be much cheaper on the second hand market.

Good luck.

Back