Trading Logs -

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

H1E1G2E1

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hello,

I don't know if this happens very much in the industry but I would like to trade logs.

I have large straight Hard Maple, Cherry, Ash, Hickory.

Our property has always been logged light and it hasnt been logged in 20 years.

I am looking to obtain White Oak or Eastern Cedar.

Are the values of these logs similar? I want to mill my own timber frame home, but only have the woods listed above available to me.

Any input would be great.

Thank you,

I suspect that you will have better luck with this in the Tradin' Post. I'll let it sit here a day or so and then move it.
I think the intent of his post is to find out if the value of the logs are equivalent to each other so he knows if he could make a 1 for 1 trade. Not necessarily if people have logs to trade him...

I think the intent of his post is to find out if the value of the logs are equivalent to each other so he knows if he could make a 1 for 1 trade. Not necessarily if people have logs to trade him...

That is about where I am at now. I do not know the value of timber, or what the market is after. My next more will be to pursue a trade via craigslist, or place posts in forums. At the same time I realize that it is kind of a vague question.

I just wish I had better wood as far as rot resistance. My original intentions were to use the hard maple as my exterior timber frame 8" x 8" . I want to use what I have available but at the same time I don't want to replace bad timbers.

Of course. Still, a thing is worth what it's worth to somebody else, and that's Tradin' Post territory. I can list the DOR prices for both logs but that doesn't mean there's any takers.

Making the grade

It's not just the species, but the grade of the logs you have to trade and are trading for will play just as large as part in determining their value. Pricing will vary by area / location and what the local mils are offering or in some cases even buying.

It would be a great help too if you provided a location, you may get much better input from someone familiar with what the values are in your market.

Take Care

I am in Western NY - Genesee County.

I would think the logs would be high quality. Im not sure what qualifies for veneer quality but I believe there would be alot.

I am looking to mill 8" x 8" x 8' (50) or so.

Postage would kill the deal. :)

I'd love to swap a truck of my bur oak for one of hard maple. I'm trying to decide on style and layout for my own timber frame now.

Good luck!

Postage would kill the deal. :)

I'd love to swap a truck of my bur oak for one of hard maple. I'm trying to decide on style and layout for my own timber frame now.

Good luck!

Would you be using the maple for framing? If so is it going to be exposed to the elements?

That is my concern. I will be framing the interior in maple.

I'd use it for flooring and counter tops.

My plan is to have something like cement based hardie board on the exterior with minimal exposed wood (entry columns, maybe under an awning over a porch). Any of those will be bur (the only white oak species I have), and the rest of the framing will be red oak which is the majority of my quality trees.

The way I constructed my current shop (24x35' w/11' ceiling), I sheathed the 2x6 framing with OSB, then wrapped the whole building up to the trusses with 1.5" closed cell pink hard foam, then sealed all the joints with membrane tape. Since it's not living space, I didn't have to use house wrap, but I will use a membrane on the house (probably under the foam). The shop's construction keeps the condensation point inside the foam and away from the wood. It also blocks all thermal transmission except the 2x4" blocking I used around the windows and doors to provide a rigid mounting surface for those features, and their frames themselves. Inside the stick frame is R19 fiberglass batting. It's like a thermos. :D

The shop is heated year round to a minimum of 55F and the cost to keep it there is less than $50 a month (6 month heating season) on natural gas with a 75% efficient hanging furnace. There's no insulation in the slab either.

House foundation will have insulation to the fullest extent possible. I'll also do something similar with the roof. We'll have a pretty tight ship when I'm done with it. Ambient temps are 5-10F colder where we're going vs where we are.

Call some local mills to see if they will do it. At least they will value or buy the logs. If you have enough that is.

I don't know if you have wood brokers in your area but I'd find a broker/buyer/mill and sell your logs to get the best return on what you have and then buy a load of logs to suite what you need .
Trading deals can get complicated at times .
Polly worth keeping some of your stuff for interior wood as well , maple and ash make for nice flooring .

Latest posts

Back