Trailer Salesman

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have had a few bad experiences with salespeople. Its probably me, more than them. Usually when I decide I need to buy something, I head out with the intention of buying that day. I cant stand any high pressure sales pitches. In this day and age of computers, you can research about anything without having to listen to any sales pitches. One time I wanted to buy a new car, I had researched it on line and knew what I wanted. I called 4 or 5 dealers and told them what I wanted and I would be buying that day. Told them I was contacting several other dealers and would buy from whoever gave me the best price and they had one chance only to give me their best price. By dinner time, I had my priceing and chosen my dealer. several of the other dealers would call and I would just tell them, sorry, your price is to high. One particular dealer kept calling back with lower prices than his original, but still not as low as the dealer I had already chosen. I told him. look, I gave you the same chance as I did everybody else and instead of giving me your best price, you thought I would haggle, and tried to squeeze me for more money. Sorry, but you have been under bid. I bought the car from my local dealer because he gave the best price. After I got it home, the the other salesman called me again, this time I just said sorry, I have the new car setting in my driveway now. Of course he asked me how much I paid and I just said it was lower than your quote. The guy told me well we could have came down a little more and I said but you didnt and you didnt sell me the car. dont call back. I dont like salesmen that want to haggle, I dont have time for it. I would much rather tell the salesman what I want and be upfront with them and tell them I am getting other quotes from other dealers. If they want to play games, I can take my business elsewhere.

Had a similar experience last winter. Went to the same dealership and the same salesman we have purchased 3 vehicles through. Went back to get a 4th and he wouldn't even budge on the price of a used F150. So I left and went right to the dodge dealership and walked out with a 2500. He called a few days later, ready to deal and I told him I already purchased a new 3/4 ton dodge.

I don't like haggling either. Give me your best number and lets save time on both sides of the table.

Sent from a field

Had a 4500 kodiac once. dealer was trying to talk me into trading it in for a 5500. The 4500 developed a tranny leak with 14000 miles. Dealer didnt want to fix it, wanted me to take it to another dealer about 75 miles away. I told him not to worry about it, I would fix it myself. I drove up to the ford place and traded on a new f450, 4x4. When I got done with the paperwork, I drove to the chevy dealer and told him I fixed the leak. Should have seen the look on his face.

I am reminded of a car I bought back in 1968. I went to a dealer and told the salesman to give me his best price and I would be shopping around. He shot me a price and I went to 3 other dealers who each told me no way would I ever get that car for what I had been quoted because it was under their cost. I ended back at the original dealer and drove off with a new car for exactly his original quote. How stupid did those salesmen think I was anyway?

OH I love those car/truck dealers. My mom worked for Chrysler Corp. so I got employee discount.
Funny how some dealers wanted to cheat you even then. I was looking at a 1997 Jeep for my wife and found one near by. got the price and it seemed high from my research so I contacted the dealer near the factory mom worked at and that same jeep was got on a dealer trade for 800.00 less money. Dealer I bought it from said they were trying to charge me for advertising, a NO NO with employee pricing.
Recently tried to buy wife another Jeep dealer wasn't going to give the employee discount I got up to leave and all a sudden the price dropped $5000.00. I left and sales woman followed me to the door wanting to know why I didn't want the jeep at the new way lower price. So I stopped and told her, Ya'll were trying to screw me and I don't like an attempted screwing with out Vaseline, and I am sure if I brought it back for service that department is set up to screw over me too. NO Thank you.

:D Al

I could go about car dealers for hours. I get what is called a suppliers discount because the railroad hauls all their parts and new cars. I went into a dealer and asked about the suppliers discount on a new car. Salesman told me that there sale price was lower then the suppliers discount price. well, I want to see it anyways. He started argueing and said his price was lower than the discount price. Show me. He wouldnt show me the discount price. I just walked away. went to another dealer and was looking at another model, he looked up the supplier discount and told me what the price would be, no haggeling. It wasnt really the car I wanted so I thought I would just go back to the first dealer and see if I could work out a deal. I was met by the sme salesman I walked out on just a few hours eairlier. I told him I didnt want to talk to him to just walk away. I went to the managers office and told him which car I was looking at and I wanted it at the suppler discount. Well the manage started the same crap about how their prices where already lower than the discount price. I told him I wastn going to argue and that unless he showed me the discount price, I was going to leave. So, he looked up the price and the discount was only $50 or so less than their regular discount price. He seemed supprised. I told him he could have sold me that car if he had just showed me the discount price up front, but I wasnt going to be doing any business with them. I got up and left. I ended up not buying a car from either dealer, but did find one I liked a few weeks later a little closer to home and bought it.

Of the 40+ vehicles I've owned, Ive never bought one new, so never been shopping at a dealer.

Back