Trailer?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Don't know how much you want to spend but we sold three separate trailers and purchased 7 x 12 low profile dump trailer.

This unit transports powertrac, grinder, stump debris, tools,hauls wood when needed and could haul alot of brush. Plus we never need to manually unload which is the best part.

We bought one of the heavier duty models with 12,000# capacity but you can get smaller ones.

A tiny trailer with only 3000# capacity will probably get beat to death quickly hauling wood. If you can swing the $$, I'd second Mench's suggestion on the dump trailer. I've worked with several people who have them and they work quite well. If you get one with a dump you WILL need both a good pair of jumper cables and a decent battery charger. There is no charging system for the battery operated dump so the battery must be recharged manually. There WILL be times that you need to dump and the battery will be dead so the jumper cables are a must. Get or make a pair long enough to reach without unhooking the trailer.

I picked up a 76"x14' utility/landscape trailer, 7000# capacity, tandem, w/brakes, brand new for a $1000. It hauls quite a lot of wood. Wish I had the money to get a dump trailer, but this one is a lot lighter (1300 lbs.)

I had a large, twin axle, utility trailer that was designe for lawnmowers when was responsible for lawn restorations at the Chamlawn. putting aerators, slitseeders,soil, seed and handtools caused it to brake springs constantly.

I would say get as heavy duty as you can tow.

Actually I have had two dump trailers. First was a U Dump and about 5x8. The hoist was power up but gravity down..this was okay but sometimes it took forever to come down/ at times it did not come down.... I thught there had to be a better way to do this.

I ordered an "EZ Dump off the internet 7x 12 I believe. Low profile (very important). Added extra 12,000lb axles just to be safe. I use this trailer all the time both at home and with work.
It has power up and down. I also had split tailgate put in.

Some trailers come with ramps to load equipment. For my purposes I believe they are totally useless (too short and narrow)
Had to buy some aluminum ramps for loading.

I should have had a heavier floor installed for I have had to bolt additional 1/8 steel sheets to the floor. (I had been denting the floor when loading large pcs with the bobcat). I will see how this works this spring. Should be alright.

Also, there needs to be a change in the wires going to the battery. The wire that charges the battery is not heavy enough to carry proper voltage. I plan to work on this solve this problem.

I pull it with a 02 2500HD. Does a decent job. Had half ton and it did not like the added weight.

One thing should mention if you purchase any trailer: be sure to install either hydraulic or electric brake control either on the trailer or towing vehicle.

Other than what I have mentioned I have been very satisfied with the purchase.

Forgot to give you the cost...sorry

With the extra capacity axles I believe the total price was around $5500.

Thanks for the reply, Ive been kinda thinking about getting one.

Did you look at the "Bri-Mar" Dump trailers? They look well built. How short were the ramps?

I did not look at the Bri Mar in detail. In retrospect, I would look at Bri Mar and EZ Dump. Compare the two.

The ramps I got with the EZ Dump were about 10 inches wide and about 4 ft long. Not long enough to load the bobcat. Too steep. Another manufacturer may be different though.

I am thinking about purchasing another set of aluminum ramps and I may get rid of the set I have: they are rated at 7000 lbs.

If you do purchase one, keep us advised.............

Latest posts

Back