Transplanting Colorado Blue Spruce

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Glock2240

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
I have not had very good luck with Colorado Blue Spruce in the past. I originally had 213 that I bought from WalMart that I planted in the spring of 07 and 08. WalMart has a one year guarantee on their trees and I would return the dead trees before the one year expired. This spring I returned 60 trees but was unable to transplant the new trees before having to leave for a job in another state and not returning until well into the summer. I have kept the trees well watered and they look very good, but are extremely root bound in their 3 gal containers. One of my daughters that lives 2000 miles away, has always had a green thumb, told me I needed to get some root simulator to put on the roots when I plant them this fall. What are some good tips that others have had with Blue Spruce that might help me be more successful?
Thanks
Tim

... but are extremely root bound in their 3 gal containers. O.....get some root simulator to put on the roots when I plant them this fall.

Root stimulator isn't going to cure being root bound. More growth isn't the answer, proper growth is, and root bound growth isn't proper growth. Once those roots start going around, they will simply choke themselves as they grow.

As for tips for success: here are two:

1. Stop buying from Wal-Mart. Since you are buying that quantity, you should be able to get a good deal from a reputable nursery.
  2. Don't buy them until you are ready to plant them.

Root stimulator isn't going to cure being root bound. More growth isn't the answer, proper growth is, and root bound growth isn't proper growth. Once those roots start going around, they will simply choke themselves as they grow.

As for tips for success: here are two:

1. Stop buying from Wal-Mart. Since you are buying that quantity, you should be able to get a good deal from a reputable nursery.
  2. Don't buy them until you are ready to plant them.

Mark
Should I bust the root ball up before planting?
Tim

At a minimum, you need to get rid of any girdling roots. But really, you need an arborist's advice on this.

Latest posts

Back