Transplanting Oaks From Woods

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PBMan

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I have some landscaping ideas for my yard that would look great with some Willow/Water/Live Oaks. I could spend hundreds upon hundreds of dollars buying them from a nursery or I could get them for free from the woods. I have already marked a handfull of Willow Oaks and Water Oaks, but I need to make sure that I'm not removing trees that are too large and do to much damage to the roots.
Any suggestions on the maximum size of tree that can be successfully transplanted? The largest that I have marked are roughly 10 - 12 feet tall and around 2" in diameter.

Oak Transplanting

I personally do not promote transplanting trees from a woodland, and here in Illinois many woodlands are protected against just that.
With that said I have some bad news, even with permission to remove those trees the chance of survivability is slim. Those trees have developed from seed, which means they are growing on a single tap root. Trees with a tap root do not transplant well at all.
You see, nursery production includes the development of a good crown as well as a fiborous root system. This fiborous root system is what enables us to harvest trees with relative ease. We can make a solid root ball because there are abundant roots to hold the ball together. With a tap root there is nothing to keep the ball solid, thus the decline of the tree. ( Not to mention the shock of cutting a tap root)
My opinion, spend the money, and get some quality trees from a reputable nursery. You will be happier in the long run, as will your trees.
If money is an issue, start smaller. We find trees transplanted at a smaller size rebound faster, and also grow much quicker than larger transplanted trees.

John,
ISA Certified Arborist, Illinois Certified Nurseryman
Garden Visions Nursery

PBMan,
John makes some valid points. However, if the trees are available (on your property) and you pick smaller trees, say under 4' you may have some success.
Start by root pruning this fall. Go around the tree with a sharp spade to a depth of the blade. Leave the tree in place. Come back to the tree in spring to see how it leafs out. If everything looks good care for the tree with water during the summer droughts remember you cut off a lot of feeder roots. In the fall of the year dig the tree carefully allowing about 10 inche of root ball for every 1 of trunk diameter. Transplant and mulch well.

We relocated a small white oak last spring for our Arbor day tree and it is doing well with care.

Spring is the time to move oaks.

If you have time and space try digging small trees,pot them in 2 to 3 gal. pots and provide love.I have been doing this for years with much success.I have not tried this with Q. nigra or Q. laurifolia but every small Q. shumardii and Q. michauxii(swamp chestnut oak) I find I will.Also a few Black Walnut.It is hardly ever instant gratification, but in a few years you have what you want when you want. Plant Plant Plant, When I remove a tree,I will donate one to take its place.Job security for climbers not yet born.:)

Latest posts

Back