Transplanting wild trees - opinions?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gus

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I was planning to transplant some small trees that are growing wild near my property to an area closer to the house. I have my eye on some sycamores, tulip poplars and sugar maples that are each less than four feet tall, probably about 1 - 1.5" trunk diameter. I had planned to tag the trees that I want, and then dig them up and replant in late November after the leaves have dropped and they have gone dormant. I feel that this should allow the root systems to get somewhat established before the hot, dry summer gets here. I have been told that you can almost bare-root saplings and small trees at this time. Is this true? Either way, I think that my chances for success would increase if I maximize the size of the root ball. Is this the best time of the year to transplant trees? Should I get this done before we have a hard freeze?

Thanks for the help!

I've heard of people using a pressure washer to clear the soil from trees to move bare root. A bit messy maybe, but you can see all the roots and prune them clean.

I've used my airknive a few times.

Thanks for the reply, John Paul.

Is now the best time of year to move them, or should I wait until spring?

Back