Trauma and Wound Treatment

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Basic first aid and CPR training just make sense for life in general. I carry a pretty comprehensive first aid kit that has about anything we could need, but have never really needed it for more than a band-aid or tylanol. Being prepared for anything makes me feel better but I don't want to ever have to use it.

Just like having zip-ties in your pocket, an absolute must.

Others have mentioned and I agree more with that than anything else is to have the proper equipment and a complete understanding of why it is so important.

If those around you think you are overboard with what damage a saw can do I suggest you get some pig legs and have them drop a saw on the pig leg with the saw running wide open and let go of it once it hits the leg and watch what happens. Always wear protection full wrap.

I recently scolded/questioned my small town city department guy as to why no one is wearing PPE and he said we all have it. It does no good sittign in the shop whne they are out cutting trees down. I cut the trunk of a large maple down for them and was fully kitted in PPE when doing it. Funny/sad thing is the main city guy a few years back cut across his knee cutting trees for the city. I hope it never happens again to anyone.

I think that would be enough for anyone to see how important safety equipment is. Chaps gloves and helmet.

Only thing I carry with me for safety is a basic emergency kit in the vehicle that you can buy at any walmart/target store. Which is not really much other than some peroxide wipes and wraps.

Cel phone would be you best bet and to maybe always have a vehicle able to be jumped in right away to take off.

One thing I learned recently after cutting my knee open and having stiches (barbed wire crossing fences while cutting fence lines was make sure you tetnus shot is up to date.

Figured if there is any topic that should be brought up more it's this...not which bar/chain/60ccsaw is best. I am 19 and my 18 year old brother is starting cutting with me this year, and we also work around another 18 year old plus my grandpa and great-uncles. Me thinking that I could use this website as a resource to prevent any complications in the future has led me to posting this topic.

I need to know how to apply a proper turnakit.
I need to know if there are any turnakit products to keep in the truck to avoid using a belt or a shirt or whatever is closest. (usually work very close to the truck)
Is celox a very worthy investment? I've heard about it here
Any alternatives?
Classes I should consider taking?
Online sources?

If I learn now and don't forget I could bring this to offer for years of chainsaw use.

Thank you.
Great topic and yep I agree with these guys on the training, and safety gear. But no matter what there can be danger. Don't dwell on it but be conscious of it, just like having all the gear in the world safety ppe or first aid, never get a false sense of security from it either. My small gang and I do a lot of tree work, and cutting. Also a lot of Boar hunting with dogs in remote areas. We have been called extremists. We have taken on some bad trees and boras. I originally put the kit together for my dogs for boar injuries. Then one day I realized hell it might save us. When a 300 pound boar charged and headed for me with dogs grabbing fur. I was on a shear drop off with big rocks to break my fall. As I got a clearing shooting wise I pulled the trigger he was about 4 feet away and I had no where to go. I remember thinking I am glad I got my cell phone I'm getting air lifted today! Thanks to good dogs and the bullett shifting his course, but he did graze me. Bottom line I try and be ready for everything, and hope to use nothing. I got extra clothes, sleeping bag, MRE'S. Sutures staple guns even an IV with fluids sub q. And bandages, cleaneres everything, Antiobiotics. Eppy pen and With celox, like OP mentioned and I have plenty, you wont need a turnquite. It is the only blood stop I have seen that will clot even a arterial wound. It was developed for use in battle for soldiers as well I have plenty.

I know a lot of people think guns are horribly dangerous. I would much rather get shot in the leg then have a saw come across it without protection.

Chainsaw are great machines by design for destruction which is really the main source of what they are intended. To remove material in a very fast manner for and when it comes to flesh they excell at it. Chain saws don't discrimminate on what they cut:msp_sneaky:

Last edited:
Training is great, having a proper kit is good and all of that is worthless unless you also have the mental state to use the training and the kit. How many of you have actually administered first aid on a screaming person that is bleeding from a major injury? Ever seen a compound fracture, second or third degree burns? Will you hesitate to act? Will you vomit, maybe go into shock? Being prepared goes beyond knowing how the use the kit, do you have what it takes to push aside any personal feelings or reactions?

I had a man's entire brain on my leg once. No skull, just his brain. We had to lift the pickup up off his buddy who was pinned underneath it on the shoulder of Hwy 97 on Labor Day weekend. Drunk driving accident- I had to bag up his amputated leg.
Another time I had to cut a branch that was impaled in a rigging slinger's arm. Another time I had to climb up in a large Sycamore to rescue one of my climbers who had crushed his foot. Training allows a person to bypass the shock and awe of a horrendous injury. If you've practiced enough, it just kicks in automatically when you're thrown into the situation.

All wonderful advice given in this thread. Get the first aid and cpr training, you never know when you will need to use it.

A few things that I can add, is to plan all your moves beforehand when cutting.

When felling a tree, take the time to make a couple of escape routes in case the tree doesn't cooperate. If your bar gets pinched when the tree decides to go the wrong way, don't stay there to try to save the saw. Let it go and get the puck out of there. A saw can be fixed or replaced.

Look up when felling a tree, as limbs have a nasty habit of falling on unwary heads.

Be very very careful of springpoles. They can take you out in an instant.

Then if a situation doesn't look safe to you, you should heed your own advice, and stay out of it. Case in point: Once I was pruning some old apple trees with a bow saw, and I had to grab a branch with my left hand and saw with my right hand. I knew deep down that my left hand was in a dangerous spot, but I told myself that I would be ok. You guessed it, the saw slipped and I almost cut off my left forefinger. I knew I shouldn't have done it but I didn't heed my own advice. I used the feminine napkin trick on that nasty cut. Haha!

Work safe

Bob

Last edited:
First Aid and CPR are a good start.

You two are in the Dangerous age group--I will cite the Park Service's CD about hiking in the Grand Canyon. Don't push it. In fact, take it slow till you are used to working with saws. Don't compete with each other until you are comfy with the saws. I haven't cut myself with a saw while it was running. I have been cut the most by handling the chain without gloves on. I get cuts in the woods that I don't even know how they happened. I'll look down and see a hand or arm bleeding. Carry lots of bandaids, if you don't like to wear gloves when wandering about in the brush. Vitamin Ibuprofen can be your friend after a tumble down a steep hill.

Be sure to strive to point your toes and STICK that landing at the end of a tumble down the hill. Your friend may be watching. Have a good sense of humor. It helps.

And heed Randymac's advice. The only serious thing that I came across was an unconscious cowboy lying by the side of the road. He came to and was not very nice. Then he'd pass out. He had been thrown from his horse. I got cussed at for not catching the horse, which I did because he wouldn't stay still. It was the proverbial $5 horse with a $1000 saddle. The horse was untied by one of the ambulance folks, the horse ran around for a week. So, when coming across unconscious cowboys in the woods, catch the horse first, and don't let the ambulance people turn it loose just because you tied it with the bridle reins.

Most of the worst injuries I've had to deal with have all been my own. Hand and wrist injuries, all. Some lacerations, a break, the usual. What's weird is that about half the time I, as the injured person, have had to calm down the person who was to drive me to the emergency room. I was aware in every case that my calm came from shock and adrenaline, but kept myself focused until I could pass off the responsibility to somebody in a position to accept it. Other injuries I've dealt with, concussions, breaks, etc have been pretty easy to handle because I did have training and knew what to do. I hope I never have to be tested by amputations or the like, but I'm sure I'll do my best to rise to the occasion and keep my head together and my wits about me.

Training is great, having a proper kit is good and all of that is worthless unless you also have the mental state to use the training and the kit. How many of you have actually administered first aid on a screaming person that is bleeding from a major injury? Ever seen a compound fracture, second or third degree burns? Will you hesitate to act? Will you vomit, maybe go into shock? Being prepared goes beyond knowing how the use the kit, do you have what it takes to push aside any personal feelings or reactions?

Viet Nam 69 to 73 not a problem.

I'll second the first aid training and CPR. Keep a few maxi pads in the first aid kit. Applying pressure to the wound will slow or stop the bleeding usually.

That being said, use your PPE.

Oh, and make sure you stop cutting when you're tired. It's much easier to have an accident when you're tired.

Stay safe, and this is a good topic to bring up once in awhile.

All great advice. My kit is a box of Kotex and a roll of duct tape. I first heard this advice on here quite a while back. The poster said that if you cut yourself with a chainsaw band aids won't help you a bit, kotex and duct tape will give you a chance.

Several years ago I went out cutting on a -20 degree day. My wife said she'd go and carry wood. Of course after about 15 minutes she was cold (born and raised in Tucson) and went to the truck to warm up. Shortly she shows up and says "what is this doing in your truck" I started laughing, which probably wasn't the best response. After I explained she was skeptical so I started the saw and put it to a log for about 1-2 seconds and shut it off and showed it to her. I said, "that is Red Elm, which is old dry and very hard, and just a quick touch did that much cutting, think of what it would do to a human leg". Now when I go cutting alone she says to make sure I have my phone and first aid kit. JR

I'm sure most of you don't actually wear them anyway.

PPE goes much further than just chaps.(Which I will admit to not wearing.) When we are talking about PPE it also means gloves, glasses, face shields, earplugs, earmuffs, hardhats, etc. Gloves are one of the most important. Most cuts to the hand are relatively minor, but have you ever seen "the tough-guy" pass out after looking at a 3/8" long cut on his own hand? I have.

I want to be responsible enough to help someone else as much as myself.
This is exactly why we are telling you to wear the PPE. Remember, you have to keep yourself uninjured if you plan on helping another who is injured.

Viet Nam 69 to 73 not a problem.

Thanks for your service, and God bless our troops.

I can't even imagine some of the stuff you guys went through over there. I do know it was a mess, like every other war.

As for PPE, wear it... and being ready to fix your own or someone else's wounds, practice makes perfect, and some knowledge of what you're doing/supposed to do is better than none at all. Don't forget the first aid kit either.

Guess some maxi pads better make it into the first aid kits around here... forgot all about their super absorbent traits.

Ever plug your thumb in the artery in your brother's leg just up from his knee while it looks like hamburger? I unfortunately have. Had a coworker bite it in a chuckhole and put his shin bone through his skin, that one was fun as well getting him out and stabilized, or the time that the neighbor got his arm wrapped up in the 3 pt post hole digger and me and my dad were the first one's there. I unfortunately have seen and dealt with a good bit of physical trauma in my life...

Latest posts

Back