Tree Climbing Help

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

iggy913

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Good afternoon all, I'm looking to begin climbing trees to ultimately remove them and would like a little help from anyone who is willing to offer it.

As far as my own personal experience is concerned I have done some light logging and assisted several friends who own tree services with removing trees, so I'm not a total newbie. I'm not worried about the heights I will be climbing to as I am a firefighter here in VA. I could have one of the dozens of tree services around here remove the trees in my yard but I'm fairly sure I will be looking at thousands of dollars in a bill. I'm not debating the price, I know it's a difficult job.

I'm not looking to start my own business I want to learn the skill and help protect my own property. If I can help friends, family, or neighbors remove some problems than it's all the better.

What I'm looking for is a basic list of what is needed to safely climb and a few good places to get the equipment. I've seen several places that offer "kits" to begin climbing that consist of spurs, a harness, and a flip line. Aside from that and a few good ropes what else should I be looking into?

Thanks for the help.

Well the good news is climbing isn't rocket science, the bad news mistakes can be fatal. Equipment ranges from simple to elaborate. When learning the rule is low and slow. Start by purchasing The Tree Climbers Companion. It's a very informative way to get you started with techniques, equipment, lingo, etc. You've mentioned spurs, you'll only need them for removals and before you even consider slipping them on you should master basic climbing. The most basic setup consists of:
-harness
-rope
-one carabiner
-flip line

Optional basic stuff would be a throwline and weight.

Also get your hands on a Sherill Tree catalog. Not only can you peruse different equipment they have quite a number of graphics depicting climbing scenarios and other good information. After you read the TTCC a few times come back and ask questions.

Obviously the best thing would be to learn from an experienced climber, not to say that you cannot learn quite a bit on your own.

I agree with Racer X, get the book "Tree Climbers Companion". You can get it from your closest Vermeer dealer or order it from Sherill.
You can get those kits pretty cheap, but that is just what they tend to be, cheap equipment. You won't see many pros climbing on the stuff that is in the cheaper kits. The better kits are more like a $1000, but I think worth the difference in comfort and quality.

Climbing a tree is one thing, cutting wood in a tree is another altogether. Learn climbing first. Then get good with a hand saw while hanging from rope. I suggest even sticking with the handsaw for light rigging work. ALWAYS TIE IN TWICE WHILE CUTTING !
A hand saw can cut your climbing line in less than a second.

Once you can place your cuts so the wood lands where you want and/or pivots as you want to avoid obstacles, then you may consider moving up to using a chansaw while climbing.

I can't stress enough how unforgiving tree work can be. Unlike firework where you can change your mind and reverse direction to get away from the flames, once you make the cut, the wood is going to move and move fast. If you are in the way it will hurt, if something else is in the way it will be damaged. You can't hope or guess what will happen when the cut is made, you must know exactly what the wood is going do.
Rick

I recently bought and just received a combo kit and put on the saddle the spurs and played around with the flip line......in my living room. I'm about halfway through the TTCC on my first read of it.....won't be taking my new kit off the ground until I have a lot more familiarity with a bunch of the knots and intend to recreationally climb for abit before getting to work....

I recently bought and just received a combo kit and put on the saddle the spurs and played around with the flip line......in my living room. I'm about halfway through the TTCC on my first read of it.....won't be taking my new kit off the ground until I have a lot more familiarity with a bunch of the knots and intend to recreationally climb for abit before getting to work....

Sounds like a good plan. Get comfortable with various hitches and knots. When I started I put a sling around a beam in the garage and hung from there just to get a feel for being in a harness and to practice hitch tying. When you do finally get off of the ground remember low and slow. :smile2:

Yup, I did the same thing when I first got my gear. Old used rope over a rafter in the shop and the step ladder close by so I could 'rescue' myself if needed. Worked out how to change over from rope walking up to figure 8 down while hanging midline. Then changed from Figure 8 down back to rope walking up. Only after I was sure I could safely make the switch, either direction while hanging midline, did I start going up trees. Having an equipment oops moment while hanging 3' off the dirt floor is a lot less scary than having the same problem at say 40' up a tree. Once you have simulated the problem and dealt with it 5 or 6 times at 3' then your mind doesn't panic if it happens high in the tree later on.
Rick

Back