Tree climbing motors?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

softdown

There is only Ingsoc.
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
Seem to be on the somewhat rare side. I've seen youutube videos where a smallish gas motor and rope whisks the climber up a tree. This would be useful for tree trimming since no spikes are needed. Also very fast and physically easy.
Google search has turned up nothing. Not sure what name these tree climbing implements are called.
Any users here? Thoughts? Recommendations? Price ranges?

I've had a Wraptor since 2011. Mine is the two stroke Tanaka motor.

It was lightly used when I bought it from Charlie Portoff.

It is a wonderful tool.
Lightly used from an acquaintance seems nice. The four stroke motor seems oddish to me. Imagine a 4 stroke chainsaw.
Anyways, no way am I ready to cough up a couple thousand dollars for what strikes me as a high dollar convenience item. I can operate bucket trucks for a LONG time for that much money. They can feel sketchy but still likely safer than imitating chimpanzees.

https://www.harkenindustrial.com/en/harkenindustrialcom/powerseat-ascenders/
4 stroke honda powered(gx35), battery, or corded options.

Although not precisely made for tree climbing these can work well. Full disclosure I work for the company that makes them but buy no means is this meant as a sales pitch just providing alternative options.
The battery operated device is slower than the Ronin though it has a seat. I found no clue whatsoever as to pricing. There is a dealer in Denver area, Colorado - with an out of state phone number.

The battery operated device is slower than the Ronin though it has a seat. I found no clue whatsoever as to pricing. There is a dealer in Denver area, Colorado - with an out of state phone number.
Not sure what dealer you are speaking of so I can't really help you there other than to say there are quite a few dealers and if you wanted to try one out you best bet for CO would probably be Elevated Safety as they have a new training facility in Denver and I know they have some rental/demo units there.

Most dealers have prices listed on there websites, I can tell you that MSRP(hint no one pays MSRP plan on 1 to 2 grand less) ranges from $9,995.70 down to around 5grand and that you probably don't want the battery version as it's designed for indoor or confined space.

For rope speed plan on about 50' per minute.

I have the 2 stroke model. We don't use it all the time but to ascend a tree quickly and effortlessly, excellent tool to have. When u you get to the top your not winded from climbing. Nothing in the tree business is cheap.

Wondering what is up with the conversion to 4 stroke for the Wraptor. Not having to worry about fuel/oil rations is a convenience for sure. A little more weight may not be a factor in a device that lifts itself. But I still suspect something else played a role in the decision.

I'll bet there is a way to make an ATV winch work. I'm 63 and part time. Can't see coughing up that kind of money for very occasional use for 5-10 years. I'd be interested at the $750 price.

If I was young and in big tree country then it makes sense.

Back