tree climbing

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mwhite

Reaction score
I have a few trees in my yard that are getting too large, and have some dead and broken limbs that need to be removed. I would like to learn how to climb, and get some equipment, so I can clean them up this winter after they lose their leaves.

I used to work as a painter, and spent quite a few years woking 30-40 feet up on ladders. I'm cautious but not afraid of heights. Tree climbing equipment looks much safer than ladders.

I've looked for arborists in our phone book - there are none listed. I live in central Missouri. Where can I learn the basics and what equipment do I need? I'd like to quit trimming my trees from ladders.

I would consider taking a class if there is one offered somewhere in my area at a reasonable price.

Thanks for any advice or leads anyone has to offer.

-Malcolm White

Well, ya might try to post that under comm. tree care and climbing.............!

There are ISA lists of certified arborists, Arbormaster formal training, also a free Sherrill catalougue (sponsor up top) is a good investment for training in ways ya wouldn't believe to learn from over years of referring back to!

There are tapes etc. But this is best learned from someone passing it to you, so many things to watch, so much safety; also it is kinda a feel, perhaps a calling that it is good to have someone there to see if they see in you! Or something like that!!

Anyway, try the climbing forum of this site, and be flooded with info and people trying to help and look out for ya!

Whatever other training or instruction you might get, one book I would highly recommend is 'Tree Climbers Companion'. It's available through Sherrill, along with many others.
The bonus of buying it through Sherrill is that you get a free catalogue with your first purchase, so you get 2 for the price of one. I agree with Ken, I have learned tons of tricks from Sherrill's catalogues, been getting them for 6 years now.

I'll second both of these guys. But I didn't get a catalog with my Sherrill order-have to ask Sean about that.

thanks

Thanks for the help. TheTreeSpyder - I didn't post in the climbing message board because I thought that was just for professionals to post messages. Since I'm new here I wasn't sure that I would be welcome in that forum. I will give it a try.

thanks again,
-Malcolm

Latest posts

Back