tree damage from termites

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cracker joe

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I have two fruit trees (nectarine I think) in the backyard of a house recently purchased. They are not models of beauty, but they are bearing leaves and fruit.

There seems to be a fair amount of damage to the base of the tree I suspect from termites, though no pests are visible. Some one has done some major branch removal low on the trunk and it appears as though the bark is separating.

Should I cut them down to prevent termite spead to the structure, or is there a method for mitigating the existing damage and preventing further destruction?

Thank you.

Termites and ants will only go for the decayed wood of a tree , if you want treat the stems and trunk with Astro and i wouldnt worry about the termites getting to your house. just keep all wood away from your foundation. YOu may not even have termites so diagnose what you have before you treat.

The major branch removal may have been improperly cut, which led to the decay you're seeing now. Fruit trees seem to be able to thrive even with major decay as long as you can prevent structural failure by pruning or bracing/cabling.

termites

Get someone to ID the bugs as termites or not. Termites won't spread from the tree to anything else per se....if they are termites, you have a colony underground somewhere nearby. They can be up to 60 feet down, send out "patrols" above looking for woody cellulose to digest. Termite posions work by have the stuff cared back to the colony & nuking the queen. If they exist, removing the tree, the wood pile, etc simply makes them look further afield for lunch...like your house.

Thanks everyone, for the information. I really did not want to remove the trees and I feel better about leaving them now. I will try to find out which insect has infested the tree and done the damage so that I can take action accordingly.

Is there something I should do to fill the holes in the trunk, a liquid filler or something? I've seen trees with what appears to be tar poured into holes where limbs once were. Should I take any action like that?

Lastly, should I actively remove any of the bark that is loose and apparently sloughing off the tree or just leave it alone?

Thanks again everyone.

Filling cavities, and wound painting are things of the past. Research has shown that these activities tend to contribute to further decay.

The tree "walls" off the damaged area internally and deals with wound by growing more tissue to cover the wound. Let nature take its course.

I would consult an arborist in the area and get that person's opinion. They would have more to work with than we do from here. Be sure that they are a certified arborist - there are many in your area. It seems like the problem you are dealing with isn't too serious and could be mechanical (mower, weed wacker,etc..) damage, actually.

Nickrosis

Back