Tree damage... Prune or Replace?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

New guy Josh

Reaction score
Hey guys,

First time poster here. A few months back a storm damaged one of the young trees on my property. I bought this house 2 years ago, and am just now getting around to proper tree care/pruning/mulch beds/etc. I need to know if there is a pruning technique I can use to remove the damaged limb (Main), and be able to safely continue growing the tree. The broken branch was the "dominant" one, and the remaining ones dont really look like good branches to continue growing the tree. I believe it is a sugar maple? Any advice would be much appreciated.

(And yes, I know the landscaping blocks are stacked upside down. One of the many fixes I get to enjoy working on from the past homeowner)IMG_4778[1].JPG IMG_4779[1].JPG

Ditch the tree, and the blocks, and replace with a better specimen. Do a search on this site for proper planting techniques, particularly on proper planting height.

Aside from the storm damage to the central leader, there is significant weed eater damage at the base, which the previous h.o. then buried with dirt and blocks. Poor little fella really doesn't have a chance.

I agree that a new tree would be a better choice.

However, for your edification (and others who have a similar question), to prune that tree, you would cut the former central leader back to the live branch, then shorten the live branches coming off that leader by about 15%. The main branch to the left (in pic 1) is now going to be your main leader. That leader splits into two (at a height about equal to the broken top). From these two, pick one (the tallest/strongest) to be the main leader. Prune back the other one both in height and width. The goal would be to focus growth on the new central leader and reduce the growth of broken leader and others. After a few years, when the broken leader is less than half the diameter of the new main leader, it can be totally removed. This method is based on the research done by Ed Gilman.

Guys thanks so much for the quick responses! I will take your advice and remove the tree to replace with a healthier one. The Jolly Logger, by "better specimen" do you mean a different type better suited for my yard? Or just a healthier tree. I believe the tree in my front yard is a sugar maple as well, and would like to plant the same one as that. From the link AGoodSteward copied I believe the Sugar Maple would grow well in my area. Do you guys agree? I will be reading up on the correct planting height and procedure to make sure I don't make the same mistake as the existing homeowner.

From the looks of the rest of the trunk, Yank it out you ain't got nothing there now anyway!!!!!!

Back