Tree Felling Direction Of Falling Question ?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So you've met Randy. :hmm3grin2orange::hmm3grin2orange:

apparently so :msp_confused: hope I didn't offend him that realy wasn't meant as a fallers lesson or anything just to give a non pro a different prospective. make him think of it another way. if explained how I normaly cut veneer timber I really would get jumped on[no holding wood] go ahead let me have it , but my old man would kick your butt if those butts weren't smooth and notch out of stump, ya'll call that humbold? :msp_smile:

apparently so :msp_confused: hope I didn't offend him that realy wasn't meant as a fallers lesson or anything just to give a non pro a different prospective. make him think of it another way. if explained how I normaly cut veneer timber I really would get jumped on[no holding wood] go ahead let me have it , but my old man would kick your butt if those butts weren't smooth and notch out of stump, ya'll call that humbold? :msp_smile:

I have noticed that Randy is this sites version of a doctor house...... so no worries lol

I have noticed that Randy is this sites version of a doctor house...... so no worries lol

OMG!! Great analogy!!

But turn "Dr." into "Pirate" and you're a bit closer. :laugh:

But always be respectful. . . Randy's got a face named after him and stuff. :msp_thumbup:

Hopefully the op will post something. You know instead of one of those great rhetorical question type threads where everyone takes some time to post something useful and we never hear from the questioner again. Man if I had a dollar for every one of those threads...

I mean how many "I want to go logging" or "what should I do with my woods?" or "what is the price of this?" or "tell me how to cut a tree" threads have there really been? Its a wonder anyone ever posts on these anymore. Boredom? A chance for fun?

Slick stumping, chasing yer hinge, et al, are used to minimize stump or stem fiber pull. They're just techniques.

I reckon you have to get mighty comfortable on the stump to camp out and chase them over. You also have to know when you can and can't get away with it.

That's when a fella might set up the hinge and trip the back, or get steep and deep on the face and chase the hinge until momentum starts and you get out'a dodge.

On the big ones, if you watch a lot of coastal falling videos, they don't #### around. It's a full hinge and sawn up from the back -- no fancy pants faces. They're nice and open, and once they get the tree committed they run. Big changes how fancy you can be, or want to be.

I know a faller in AK who says he's kept and gotten a lot of falling work by being a "Full Hinge" faller. Meaning, they go into lead, and he always has a clean stump and uniform hinge.

I'm currently cut'n with a man with 43 years on the saw. I've watched him do things with a thumb sized piece of hold-wood I didn't think was possible. But he knew it was -- it's just my inexperience showing through.

It's an experience game -- don't do things that make you uncomfortable if you're alone -- that will get you smooshed. It's nerve racking doing something new when you're being shown, let alone 'trying out' something you saw or read about on the computer -- and you don't have anyone around to help you if'n you need it.

Your 'rape whistle' doesn't do crap if you're out alone.

Hopefully the op will post something. You know instead of one of those great rhetorical question type threads where everyone takes some time to post something useful and we never hear from the questioner again. Man if I had a dollar for every one of those threads...

I mean how many "I want to go logging" or "what should I do with my woods?" or "what is the price of this?" or "tell me how to cut a tree" threads have there really been? Its a wonder anyone ever posts on these anymore. Boredom? A chance for fun?

Sheer boredom and a chance to have fun and or BS...........

Yup...it do get old. The only thing worse than an OP who never comes back after getting all our advice is the kind who stays and argues.
You know the kind...he isn't really looking for advice, he's looking for all of us knuckle draggers to validate what he's already decided to do. Usually what he wants to do is either impossible or just plain dumb. And when we don't buy into whatever brand of dangerous and non productive lunacy he's decided on, and you know we won't, he gets all puffed up, insults us, and leaves. 'Course, before they go I've noticed that their rep turns red and some of the older and wiser hands, whose advice has been ignored or downright scorned, get in a few good kicks. They're entitled.

But...every once in awhile we get one who asks the right questions, who listens, and at least tries what we suggest. Then he lets us know how it worked out and asks what he can do to fine tune the results. Those kind of guys make up for the dingbats. We'll help those guys. They're few and far between but they're worth it.
Eventually. :laugh:

Oh ####, really? What about my pepper spray?

Great post, btw, reminds me a bit of the quote in randymac's signature. I know it by heart because my secret fear after every one of my posts is that he'll say "see my signature."I'm releived when I get set on fire. I'd prolbably be willing to spend money I don't have to attend a "logging fantasy camp" with most of the pro fallers on this site, regardless of coast

Slick stumping, chasing yer hinge, et al, are used to minimize stump or stem fiber pull. They're just techniques.

I reckon you have to get mighty comfortable on the stump to camp out and chase them over. You also have to know when you can and can't get away with it.

That's when a fella might set up the hinge and trip the back, or get steep and deep on the face and chase the hinge until momentum starts and you get out'a dodge.

On the big ones, if you watch a lot of coastal falling videos, they don't #### around. It's a full hinge and sawn up from the back -- no fancy pants faces. They're nice and open, and once they get the tree committed they run. Big changes how fancy you can be, or want to be.

I know a faller in AK who says he's kept and gotten a lot of falling work by being a "Full Hinge" faller. Meaning, they go into lead, and he always has a clean stump and uniform hinge.

I'm currently cut'n with a man with 43 years on the saw. I've watched him do things with a thumb sized piece of hold-wood I didn't think was possible. But he knew it was -- it's just my inexperience showing through.

It's an experience game -- don't do things that make you uncomfortable if you're alone -- that will get you smooshed. It's nerve racking doing something new when you're being shown, let alone 'trying out' something you saw or read about on the computer -- and you don't have anyone around to help you if'n you need it.

yea it really depends on spiecses [can't spell] over here , on some types white oak cherry and especially ash hinge is a no no ash will explode boreing out the hart helps a lot of course hevy leaners are fun but I've learned a few tricks over the years ..... have I jacked this guys thread :arg: sorry hope he comes back :msp_biggrin:

I don't mind these so much because they always seem to lead to a good exchange of ideas, stories, techniques etc. Of course, in these threads I'm usually just enjoying and not contributing much. Noobie thing.

What drives me crazy is in the chainsaw forum when someone asks a saw repair question I actually think I know the answer to, such as "I was pulling on the handle thing, and suddenly it was no longer connected to the saw", or "Noob here, I ran my neighbors saw for 40 minutes and it just quit. I pulled and pulled but nothing happened. Is there some sort of fluid i need to replenish to make it run again?" I respond, there are 10 different ideas about the problem, and we never find out who's right.

I'd prolbably be willing to spend money I don't have to attend a "logging fantasy camp" with most of the pro fallers on this site, regardless of coast

You might like the Napa_Bothe GTG. I think we're having another one in November. Eccentric or Broc-Luno would know for sure.

Start about page 55 in this link for our latest GTG last February. 2dogs, Slowp, RandyMac, Eccentric and some others. More of a working GTG than a strictly cookie cutting event. You might like it.

http://www.arboristsite.com/chainsaw/203410-55.htm

Just this evening my s-i-l asks me while I'm in the middle of trying to figure out the compound angles of an inside crown molding corner (the stuff you do for your kids), "How do you get a tree to fall where you want it to?" I just gave him a weary look and thought of this thread. He responded "Well, I guess we should just do one thing at a time." Seeing that he got the point that the answer to his question was not simple, I told him I wasn't trying to be smart but the answer is it depends upon what forces are in play and what forces you introduce. For now I left it at that as I thought any more details would be incomplete and potentially dangerous. Maybe after we get the trim done and if he shows the interest and the patience we'll have a hands-on lesson or two.

Speaking of lessons I would love to come to a "working" GTG. I am sure I would learn a lot. Too bad the West coast is soooooo far away. Ron

Just this evening my s-i-l asks me while I'm in the middle of trying to figure out the compound angles of an inside crown molding corner (the stuff you do for your kids), "How do you get a tree to fall where you want it to?" I just gave him a weary look and thought of this thread. He responded "Well, I guess we should just do one thing at a time." Seeing that he got the point that the answer to his question was not simple, I told him I wasn't trying to be smart but the answer is it depends upon what forces are in play and what forces you introduce. For now I left it at that as I thought any more details would be incomplete and potentially dangerous. Maybe after we get the trim done and if he shows the interest and the patience we'll have a hands-on lesson or two.

Speaking of lessons I would love to come to a "working" GTG. I am sure I would learn a lot. Too bad the West coast is soooooo far away. Ron

I hear there's some fine GTG's in TN though!

You might like the Napa_Bothe GTG. I think we're having another one in November. Eccentric or Broc-Luno would know for sure.

Start about page 55 in this link for our latest GTG last February. 2dogs, Slowp, RandyMac, Eccentric and some others. More of a working GTG than a strictly cookie cutting event. You might like it.

http://www.arboristsite.com/chainsaw/203410-55.htm

That is fantastic. I like running saws as much as the next guy. But cookies don't do it for me much. I enjoy talking and listening when I am able to get up with some folks that have like thinking. I'll keep an eye on this one here. Thanks for the link. A work show would be a good time. Learning some new tricks in real type situations. Heck I watch brand new guys, you'd be surprised how much you can learn even from a baby, if you're willing.

Owl

Back