Tree Huggers Part 2

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hello Elizabeth, I do have to appoligize for these other members for their very crude and uncivilized ways, but hey, what do you expect from a bunch of woodticks?
Welcome aboard!
John ( the civilized one)

Thanks John. I don't get offended too easily, after all I DO live with NETREE so I suppose I've seen, heard, done it all! :angel:

Originally posted by Tree Machine
Here's a shot, 8x8, 72 dpi, 168 KB. How's this one Glen?:D
Hey, thanks for posting them Jim!

Dang, that guy in the images is good-looking, ain't he?

If anyone's interested, I'd just picked up the saddle at Vermeer and gone straight to see Jim a little north of Indy.  Both ends of my 150' of blue-streak were just touching the ground as I hitched up to it.  There was at least another 25' above where my rope was draped.  Jim had me use his handled ascenders, but the lousy-for-treework footwear was all mine.

In the shot of me standing on the branch, I was about half way up my rope in that butternut.

What was it you'd gone back down to get, Jim?  I forget.

Thanks for that ugly pair of gloves.

Glen

This Just In...

Few things say summer in the Northwest like the image of downy youngsters with laptops chaining themselves to old-growth trees. So on Monday, Agriculture Secretary Ann Veneman officially inaugurated the protest season, announcing in Idaho a plan to reopen parts of the federal forestlands for road building.

With the help of the media, groups like Greenpeace and the Sierra Club have been crowned as the only legitimate voices of the forest. Tree-sits these days resemble a summer camp, with young activists e-mailing dispatches on the number of days since they last had a shower.

Hi Blacksmith, I really like the picture, but I don't appreciate you blowing my cover. Now everyone knows I'm a leaf kisser and tree hugger. How do you expect me to infiltrate the logging industry now?
Forgive these butchers, for they know not what they do.
John

Hi Blacksmith, thats great, I will attach it now. In fact I was going to ask you if you'd make me an avatar or two. Can you attach my head to Paula Zahn's body?
John

What was it you'd gone back down to get, Jim?_ I forget.

Went down to drag a tree out of the way of my client who was mowing the lawn. Hadda get a shot of you while I was down there.

That was a good climb. I had just put some brand new 2.2mm ZingIt on the reel. Legitimate 80 foot shots. We had set a par 4 on em and I think we eagled both.

Glen went up DbRT, me SRT, both of us using backed-up ascenders. We learned that so much of footlocking is about the footwear. I even brought up a Pantin and tried it for the first time... and probably the last.

Glen's gear was all shiny and new, I had climbed through a Summer rainstorm the day earlier and my gear wasn't as pretty.

Glen got up the full distance and then watched me monkey around the crown, setting redirects above my tie-in and scrubbing out the dead waaaay in the heck out there, working the chainsaw and pole pruners. It was a treat for me as I hadn't climbed with anyone in a couple years.

Here's a treehugger shot, a takedown I started Monday (it's now Wednesday). Bought a new 395XP for the occasion.

Yep.&nbsp; Waxy (or <i>something</i>) rope and slick-bottom boots is close to ice-skating.&nbsp; I'd gotten a good 5 feet above my climbing rope by using my lanyard; to get out of Jim's way for a few minutes.

Jim, I've got a pair of Redwing imported logging boots that are killer for in the tree.&nbsp; Who'd have thunk it?&nbsp; They were (as always) on the truck that day...

I remember now about the mowing obstruction.&nbsp; And that you took a moment to tie my gallon water jug to one end of my line as well while you were down there.&nbsp; Thanks again.

I know I'd mentioned it at the time but haven't followed up.&nbsp; We should hook up another time or two.&nbsp; I think I could actually help you some now, LOL!

Glen

BTW, the record butternut in Indiana as of this spring is 214" in circumference, 61' tall, with a "point index" (don't know what that entails) of 297.

61 feet tall???? A record? We set our ropes higher than that. Could you pm me the source on that? My client would be thrilled. He graduated in forestry a couple decades ago, and even named his kid Forest. Definitely a man of the woods.

He'd love to know he's got something extra-special on his property, besides this serene view .

http://www.in.gov/dnr/forestry/pdfs/bigtree.pdf

I guess it's from 2000.&nbsp; The source where I saw it listed is the "101 Trees of Indiana" field guide put out by Indiana University Press this past April.&nbsp; It's magnificent and you need a copy.&nbsp; They're 20 bux at Barnes & Noble, etc.&nbsp; ISBN 0-253-21694-X

From the above-linked document:<blockquote>We have adopted the American Forestry Association's definition for big trees.&nbsp; This definition is based on three measurements -- circumference at 4-1/2 feet above the ground, measured in inches; the total height measured in feet, and 1/4 of the average crown spread measured in feet.&nbsp; These numbers are added to obtain an index number, and the tree with the largest index number is considered to be the champion big tree.</blockquote>

Looks like they're going for volume, not merely height.

To flesh things out a little (for the benefit of others), your latest image attachment was taken from the deck which appears above and behind me in the second image of me you posted earlier, and in this one, the butternut is the larger near tree.&nbsp; Without all the deadwood the view of the valley below is much nicer.

Glen

Back