Tree id... another one

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

300zx_tt

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
IMG_0793.JPG IMG_0794.JPG

Anybody have any guesses? It's not super light. Has a real fresh smell, not really earthy . I'm in south east PA

I thought it was poplar at first because it's light in color but I googled poplar bark and I don't think that it is.
Looks like the silver maple we have here...

I think you're right, all the silver maple I've come into contact with has had different bark on it which is what confused me.

Definitely maple. Looks like either red or silver. I'm leaning toward red but it can be hard to tell the difference without leaves.

This was a big one too. It was full of rot and was splitting, with a hurricane coming up the coast. Friend ask on Monday if I could have it down before the stormed was supposed to hit on Thursday. Stormed moved off shore and Thursday was bright and sunny, no problem, we had it down. Actually, I forget the exacts days of the week, I just remember he gave me 3 full days notice, Joe.

I'm pretty sure this is elm it smells when cutting but the dead standing stuff is so light it almost pops when split... Not sure what else it could be? North eastern Wisconsin

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    2.4 MB · Views: 31
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 35
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 30
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 26
I thought it was poplar at first because it's light in color but I googled poplar bark and I don't think that it is.

I think you're right, all the silver maple I've come into contact with has had different bark on it which is what confused me.

Best I can tell, smaller/younger silver maple trees have pretty smooth bark. It starts to roughen up and flake a little bit when the tree matures. I could be wrong, but... just sayin.

Back