Tree ID books?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Foxfire

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Thanks for the suggestions. I've seen the Peterson field guides suggested a lot so I'm gonna keep that as a backup and try some books I haven't seen suggested this time around. I'm gonna go for, Amazon.com: Bark: A Field Guide to Trees of the Northeast (9781584658528): Michael Wojtech, Tom Wessels: Books and Amazon.com: Trees: A Visual Guide (9780520256507): Tony Rodd, Jennifer Stackhouse: Books. The reviews look good and they aren't too expensive in case they're no good. Oh and I'm gonna get the Winter Tree Finder also.

I just bought the Bark book. I glances through it a few times and seem to like it. As you know it is limited to trees in the northeast. The pictures are nice and clear. They also give bark pictures throughout different stages of the trees life for comparison. I will also check out the winter ID book also.

I prefer the National Audubon guide to the Peterson field guide. I find the photos in the Audubon book superior to the drawings in the Peterson field guide. I have both and the Audubon guide is dog eared and worn while the Peterson guide still looks like new.

Another book that is worth a look, especially if you don't have much background in tree ID, is the Arbor Day Foundation's "What Tree is that". It is set up as a dichotomous key so that you can ID trees by answering a series of yes/no questions. They also offer the same key online.

Back