Tree ID pls

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If the wood really stinks, then it's Ohio Buckeye. And if it doesn't, then hackberry.
And I'm an OSU fan too, so don't go thinkin' otherwise! :happy: Yes, Ohio Buckeye has a REALLY bad stench....
So what your saying is
In over 40 years of cutting I've never come across a hackberry tree with a dark center that big. The are all white around here. That and the cambium area doesn't have that much tan/brown showing. When you break the rough outer bark it is not that brown either. Here are a couple pics of hackberry from my burn pile.

MVC-004S_12.JPG

10 inch round

MVC-005S_10.JPG

12 inch dry rounds

MVC-003S_17.JPG

Dry round with bark cut with hatchet. Note the dull gray to white color.

MVC-004S_13.JPG

Close to 4 ft diameter hackberry, see the hatchet?

MVC-005S_12.JPG

MVC-006S_7.JPG

Bark does not have the brown inclusions like his first pic. I scraped some fresh off and even it has more gray and white in it.

I have a couple buckeye trees here but can't say that I've ever cut any of it to verify. I n both of your pics that bark looks WAY too smooth to be like ANY hackberry I've ever cut.

Well trying to guess over the internet isnt easy. Light and shadows makes things look different. It looks like a 10" hackberry to me, but the bark has a combo of maple/hackberry look to it. We have alot of hacks down here. The more dead they are the whiter they are. I've cut them that looked darkish, some with center ring darker, most under 12/10" are white. I wonder if soil would change color some? I know young vs old is diff.

I know there are variations on all tree species, especially depending on location, but the bark in both pictures doesn't look like any Hackberry i have seen in central Maryland, also the center of the wood usually has a reddish color, then white as you go out towards the bark.

Back