Tree ID West PA

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Bark looks just like basswood I'm in northern pa and that stuffs all over

Here's a pic of some basswood that I cut so you can reference the bark

Attachments

• 20150726_122907.jpg
    20150726_122907.jpg
    4 MB · Views: 34
Basswood(Linden) is all over by me to...completely different leaves than what is shown in the pictures. The pics are Pignut Hickory.

I'm no expert and don't claim to be just thought the bark looked very similar didn't look at leaves though

That is a Cucumber Tree ( Magnolia acuminata )
It is a type of Non Evergree Magnolia Tree.

David

It's not hickory, there are no hickory nuts on any of them in the fall. I think the cucumber tree is it

You have to be pretty dammed dense to think it's a hickory. Heck the structure isn't even close to the same. Hickory has a compound leaf.. Cucumber magnolia. It's in the poplar family and will get almost as big as a tulip poplar.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

That is a Cucumber Tree ( Magnolia acuminata )
It is a type of Non Evergree Magnolia Tree.

David
Bark looks pretty coarse but based on the leaves and flower, I agree. What does the wood look like? I've carved wood that was reportedly from a cucumber tree and it was kind of creamy white with very even grain - very similar to basswood. It was really nice to carve.

I was one of guys who took a quick look and figured Hickory. Had to unlike my like for Hickory lol. That's a cool tree, we don't have them around here.

The wood from these trees is much like Tulip Poplar.
These trees are Quite Rare in these parts.
I have only seen 10 or 12 of them.
In the places where they grow well they make great yard trees.

I hope to plant one in my yard this fall.

David

They are all over our hunting camp property. I just now picked them out as an odd tree I didn't know. I matched the leaf structure close to poplar but couldn't be sure.

Thank you to the gentlemen who narrowed it down!

It is an awesome tree if you use a climbing tree stand for hunting. Straight trunk with softer bark so the stand bites easily. Always wondered what the tree was . I see the tree a lot in NW PA

Latest posts

Back