Tree ID

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

che

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
This tree is growing in a neighbor's yard. Finally remembered to grab a leaf and seedpod.

The pod thingee is paper thin, there are three 'small pea' sized seeds in each.

I can't find it in any of my keys....I can get more info tomorrow if needed for ID.

Thanks,
Che

leaf_id.jpg

Thanks Guy!

I just tried searching on 'Kohlreuteria' and found a few references to the name only and one Amish woman describing the 'striking' seed pods...but no real information or images.

Do you know of any online sources that may have any info on this tree? Or do YOU know any more about it?

Yup! That's it:

Koelreuteria

Considered invasive in warmer zones, I'll have to ask my neighbor if this one 'volunteers' alot here....I'll also write down the name for her.

Thanks! Che

Surprised to read one zone 7a person reports it is invasive, no such rep here in this 7a and highly doubt it would be in ky. Great street tree; what else blooms in august? and those pods are high winter interest. "Trash tree" rep comes from its irregular form and twig-dropping habit; light pruning every ~2 yrs makes it a lot nicer.

Hey che, do you know dave leonard in the ky isa? Just saw him last week; I may be coming up there in feb for the annual mtg.

Hey che, do you know dave leonard in the ky isa?

No, can't say that I do. I'm not a member of the ISA....in fact, I've never even met an arborist outside of cyberspace!!

Thanks for the ID. There is alot of information online about it. I downloaded a paper from UK....says they do well here. The young trees may suffer winter damage at -20 to -25 degrees F. I get the feeling that we're in for a bad winter so I'll probably wait until early spring or next fall.

-20 in ky? didn't think it got that cold there.

Is your neighbor's tree paniculata or bipinnata?

paniculata is pretty common just a bit north here, and becoming more and more invasive. This one volunteers a bunch in Cincinnati. -20s here from time to time.

This one must be paniculata...I found this picture of bipinatta and it looks quite different. I think I'll try planting some of its seed.

I didn't think it got that cold here either. WRONG! But it doesn't last long enough to be a bother....as long as I remember to plug in the tractor every day. ;)

Latest posts

Back