tree ID

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

woodkutter99

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
its got 4-5" thorns on it and they grow in clusters up the trunk. The wood was pretty hard to cut through. I am clearing out about 2 acres of red oaks, and there was two of these trees on this lot.

Just from the thorns, it sounds like a variety of locust. What do the leaves look like? Locusts have bunches of little tiny leaves-I don't know the scientific term for it. Also, do you see any seed pods laying around? Locusts have long pods with little beans inside. Of course they would have fallen in the fall/winter, but usually you'll still see some laying around in the spring.

Locust

My neighbor just cut down about 5 of these prickly guys. They have thorns that will make your fingers hurt for about 2 days if you get stuck.

I took a hatchet and cut all the thorns I could off and then bucked it and split it up for my insert. I guess I got about 2 cords for just cutting it on the ground and then splitting it and stacking.

Hear its a good wood when seasoned?:chainsaw:

Shipper

Honey Locust

Looks like a Honey locust for sure to me, something is killing them here in Missouri. After a year or so the thorns and bark fall off and the wood makes excellent firewood. :greenchainsaw:

Back