tree idenification

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hal-b

Reaction score
I have a tree in my backyard that I can't identify...could anyone help? I haven't seen many around town, but the ones I have seen have trunk and main branches that grow somewhat at an angle. About eight to ten feet the main branches grow horizontal and doesn't have much height after that. The tree isn't that tall. It is about half the height of the maple in my backyard. The leaves are small and silver and grow from weeping-like branches. The bark appears to be peeling away from the trunk. Juvenile branches constantly try to grow the whole length of the trunk.

Thanks,

Hal B.

Speaking for myself I would need more info. Are the leaves arranged on the stem in an alternate or opposite pattern? Are the leaves simple or compound? Do the leaves have a toothed edge or are they smooth?

It sounds like a silver dollar eucalyptus, but I'm pretty sure they don't grow in Wisconsin. :confused:

elan2526.jpg

Has small thorns, tinny yellow spring folwers and tends to sucker. Lots of dieback on the twigs in our area.

Only tree I know in WI with silver leaves that is of that size.

Smaller I would say a willow CVS (Arctic?) that gets 4-5 ft.

I've this gorgeous bowl I made out of a sucker burl on one I took down a few years ago. Real neat wood with pockets and shakes full of pitch.

I think the type of tree that I am asking about is the one in John Sanborn's photo. I guess my original post was kind of confusing. I haven't seen many of these. Plus, my tree compared to John's is more deformed looking, so that was kind of a disadvantage when describing it.

Thanks much,

Hal Brown

PS - Whats the common name for the tree?

Oops, that is Russian olive. They usualy dont get that straight of a trunk around here. Tend to have very low branching due to natural propigation. (ie the birds plant them)

Back