Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Patti24

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hi! Just wondering if you might be able to identify a felled tree for me? The bark is gone, so I’m having difficulty identifying it.
The inner bark is a reddish burgundy- so I’m kind of thinking it might be a Northern Red Oak?? It is heavy, heavy, heavy!
I have a few pics that I’ve attached below, but I don’t know if you’ll be able to see enough to determine what it is.

I’d also like to know what the current market price would be for it. (I’m located in Midwestern Ontario, Canada).
The log is 48’ long, circumference at the bottom is 65”, middle is 31” and top is 20”.

I could cut it up to burn in my gasification boiler, but it’s such a long, straight, hefty piece that I would rather see it used for woodworking or building.
Thanks!
Patti

Attachments

• DEDC48FB-E84E-4AAB-BE58-D28C6AC45413.jpeg
    DEDC48FB-E84E-4AAB-BE58-D28C6AC45413.jpeg
    465.9 KB · Views: 56
  • 739CDA92-E9BD-44AA-90CC-573F69E1FBE1.jpeg
    739CDA92-E9BD-44AA-90CC-573F69E1FBE1.jpeg
    350.2 KB · Views: 55
  • 077A6522-097F-44F7-8E7A-11A03597026B.jpeg
    077A6522-097F-44F7-8E7A-11A03597026B.jpeg
    540.5 KB · Views: 56
  • 95262D52-4687-47A7-90F5-CEBDD572B600.jpeg
    95262D52-4687-47A7-90F5-CEBDD572B600.jpeg
    361.5 KB · Views: 56
Barks off, starting to rot.

whatever it is, its firewood now.
Ok…I don’t think it’s rotting though.
Or do you mean that as soon as the bark comes off a tree it is starting to rot?
The bark came off this one because it was washed down the river and up onto my property when a massive flood came through. When the river receded, everything was covered in clay, so by the time I got to the tree, the bark was coming off because the
damp clay was keeping it wet.
(Actually I have another question related to the flood, clay, and some kind of fungus? algae? 🤷‍♀️ (No one knows what it is) that’s slowly killing all my trees 🙄 but I’ll post that another time).
Right now there is a green ‘mildew’ ? on it- (and on everything ELSE as well 🤦‍♀️) because of the huge amounts of rain we’ve had. It’s completely covering my deck, the cement foundation and steel walls of my shop, all the patio furniture, fence posts, everything-….it’s so slimy and gross! Trying to get it all cleaned before winter. So perhaps that’s why you thought it looked like it was rotting?

your goign to have to cut it and see what it cuts and splits like. i'm leaning juniper family,
We cut the stump off, and it was brutally hard wood. Did a few chains in! I don’t remember ever seeing Juniper with the deep burgundy colour inside???
(You can’t see it really well in these pics, but when we cut it, it was very prominent.) Can Juniper have that colour of bark?

If it's 65" circumference, it's only about 21" diameter. I would cut off a few inches and split it so we can see the grain. Not knowing the history of the log, it may be difficult to get anyone to saw it into lumber, especially if there is grit from the floodwater. Weight may be due to moisture content.

Ok…I don’t think it’s rotting though.
Or do you mean that as soon as the bark comes off a tree it is starting to rot?
The bark came off this one because it was washed down the river and up onto my property when a massive flood came through. When the river receded, everything was covered in clay, so by the time I got to the tree, the bark was coming off because the
damp clay was keeping it wet.
(Actually I have another question related to the flood, clay, and some kind of fungus? algae? 🤷‍♀️ (No one knows what it is) that’s slowly killing all my trees 🙄 but I’ll post that another time).
Right now there is a green ‘mildew’ ? on it- (and on everything ELSE as well 🤦‍♀️) because of the huge amounts of rain we’ve had. It’s completely covering my deck, the cement foundation and steel walls of my shop, all the patio furniture, fence posts, everything-….it’s so slimy and gross! Trying to get it all cleaned before winter. So perhaps that’s why you thought it looked like it was rotting?
Ok, so its river wood, covered (read impregnated) with silt and clay.

It chewed up saw chains because of all the silt. no one in their right mind will want to run it through their mill.
There is only one log, meaning it aint worth the trucking to take it to a mill, or bring a mill to it.

Save yourself the hassle, either mill it yourself, or cut it and split it and have a nice fire.
other wise see below \/\/\/\/

If it's 65" circumference, it's only about 21" diameter. I would cut off a few inches and split it so we can see the grain. Not knowing the history of the log, it may be difficult to get anyone to saw it into lumber, especially if there is grit from the floodwater. Weight may be due to moisture content.
Okay! I’ll take a piece off of the top & split it. How many inches long do you need? Thanks! Patti

Ok, so its river wood, covered (read impregnated) with silt and clay.

It chewed up saw chains because of all the silt. no one in their right mind will want to run it through their mill.
There is only one log, meaning it aint worth the trucking to take it to a mill, or bring a mill to it.

Save yourself the hassle, either mill it yourself, or cut it and split it and have a nice fire.
other wise see below \/\/\/\/
Okay. Would pressure washing it with a 3200PSI pressure washer remove any silt that was imbedded? It’s been out of the water a couple years, up on blocks, and I rotate it frequently, so lots of rainwater! Thanks! Patti

Okay. Would pressure washing it with a 3200PSI pressure washer remove any silt that was imbedded? It’s been out of the water a couple years, up on blocks, and I rotate it frequently, so lots of rainwater! Thanks! Patti
no, it would just drive what ever silt in the wood, deeper. There are folks that specialize in this sort of wood, but again it comes down to need volume to make it profitable, one log won't even cover the fuel to get it to a mill.

Latest posts

Back