Tree in need of repair?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TonyG

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
A friend of mine has a Butternut tree (I think), it produces an elongated nut.
Anyway, it has a fair amount of rot it a isolated spot, large branch coming off the trunk. Is it ok to clean out the remaining rot and fill with concrete?
Or are there other remedies for this type of problem?

Thanks, Tony

If you are going to remove the rotted wood take care not to wound living tissue, use expanding foam if you must fill the cavity.

pictures would be good to give a better answer, but I agree with elmnut with the addition of some wire mesh to keep "cridders" out. there are waterproof foam's as well. This will not cure the problem, and has not been proved to work but has some believers.

Concrete is a bad idea for many reasons. You can do a search on the topic for more info.

We can

remove some of the longer limbs out on the end to relieve some of the weight. That along with cabling may do the trick.
I'll try to get a few pictures to tell the whole story, thanks for the suggestions so far guy's.

does the limb go out over anything, for instance a house or driveway, an area where kids play, priceless lawn gnomes? if so is it worth the risk of not removing it?

Latest posts

Back