Tree Jack or not?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bigjayfromwa

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Just curious if there is any seasoned old growth fallers around here. I am going to do a job up here in the Pacific Northwest that involves a couple of old growth trees. The question is this is the first time i am doing one that is leaning towards the house. (most of them were just standard drops). It is too big to use a rope at the top to pull on it and there is no way in hell i could chunk it out. Maybe springboard it about 100ft up, thats about it.
Its a doug fir approx 12ft at the base. I have heard about guys jacking a tree right off the stump and it still barberchairing on them.

Just curious if anyone out here had a good idea.
Cutting it is no problem....(pumped husky 3120 with 72in bar)
Thanks

About how tall and how far away from the house is it? Do they want the stump removed? Do you have access to a large cat with a winch and an excavator? What about using a cable to pull it over? Remember, you don't have to lift the tree, just shift the balance.

:monkey: :greenchainsaw:

The tree is about four feet from the house and i'd say about 190ft tall. In order to run a skidder it would have to be waterproofed, since it would have to go into his lake. So thats where my problem arises.

I saw one guy lift a leaner right off the stump trying to force it another direction. Then it went the way it wanted to anyway, killing a skidder. The only thing that saved him is that it was the bull bucks orders to jack it.

this is just me tossing this out there but what about gettin a tug boat out there and tyin it off to that? you whould only have to tie it at about 80ft mark or so.... but ya 4 ft away from the house that SUCKS.... you would have thought people would have done something bout it at 90 ft tall..
i really wanna know how this turns out....

With the tree being so close to the house your extremely limited in your options in my opinion. When it falls the tree must stay on the stump. If you dont have a level falling area or enough room without the tree going into the water the trunk might flex and cause the butt to be a little frisky which cannot happen. Also a tree like that is going to have some weight to it. With a lg end dia. of 144" and a small end of 72" and a length of 60 feet gives an aproximate weight of 105 ton. An impact of that weight close to a foundation could be disasterous. For me it would be time to hire a crane. The tug idea is a good thought, but I dunno, I always like positive rigging, the tug could slip sideways and the tree would take over. Also with a weight like that, it could easily take the tug for a ride. I think I'd figure my costs, add my insurance deductible, double my time, add what I wanted for profit, then add some more for being the only guy with the nuts to take the job and submit the bid.

Last edited:
Sounds to me that moving the house farther away from the tree would be easier and possibly more cost effective?:D :laugh: :D

Maybe a BIG powerboat with about 4 very heavy anchors in the water would pull it over, the anchors would prevent the tree from pushing the boat around. Still sounds dangerous but like a lot of fun at the same time. Timing when to hit the power on the boat would be critical, depending on how much is wedged out and how deep the backcut is.

I'd love to see a 200 foot tree.

Jay, give me a call, 206 909-2644......

If it's 12 feet in circumference, I can handle it one way or the other. 12 feet dbh, that's another story...there's only a handful of old growth fir left that are that size!

I'm in Shoreline, but we are swamped.....

Also, how about some photos....?

We should get together and see whose 3120 is faster...heh....mine is usually fitted with a 42 incher, plus have 42, 43, 60, and 72" bars...never run it with a 72..but it takes a lot of leaning on to slow it down, when its pulling the 42......it was modded about 5 years ago....

Last edited:
Back