Tree length or 24"

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TMFARM 2009

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
question do you haul logs home for firewood or do you cut it all in the woods and handle all the pieces? I find it more effective to haul logs my self less time to get in and out. But how do you get your wood out? Lets have it.

about 95% of my wood is cut to length !! special orders are rare but do come around ... a few cords are brought home during the tree trimming season in 100" sticks usually around 8 cords .... other wise 16" does the job for me. rounds bigger then 16" are noodled and quartered with the 6# splitter.

permit

The Forest Service wood permits that I've had require anyone transporting logs to have them cut, something like 33-50% through, throughout the log in firewood lengths.

This is so that someone couldn't steal fence posts, fence logs or even house logs. They are worth more to a lot more.

There are also issues with yarding logs to the road. Divots.

Don't beat me up.
I know the log thing can be far more efficient.

around here you have a small window of time to get wood out before crops are planted and you loose access to the woods....i have a few woods i cut in that have road frontage but only a few.... i didn't know how others deal with getting it out around the country....who does just fence rows etc. we dont have forests per-say around here most are just a couple acres at a time.usually land locked without access. i have been looking for the most efficient way to get wood out by myself in the shortest time possible.

I don't have the equipment to load and haul logs, So they get cut into sections and noodled down to where i can handle them without killing my back. I really would rather leave the saw chips and noodles in the woods anyway. I would have to clean them up at the house.

I don't have the equipment to load and haul logs,

Ditto.

(At least till I finally get my TO-35 running again :) )

I don't have time constraints since it's my own woodlot.

Usually I split in the woods too, then haul down to the stack. We have a major snow storm coming and I had stuff on the ground, so I didn't split what wasn't split already today. I can pile those up by the stack and split later this week when I won't be getting into the woods.

Once this snow (we're looking at 20") settles a bit, it's nice time to drop and block trees since I can cut right through the logs as they rest on the snow pack.

we top our tree's where they lay and sometimes even split it there, then cut anything over 15-18" into 12 foot logs or 6' logs for the gooseneck.. Load 2 stacks of the 12's and 1 stack of 6's so it fills my 30 footer. Then we load 1 stack of 16's on how ever many 2 ton trucks we have with us. the bur oaks we load that are 36" and bigger we whittle down to 6's to get on 2 tons if we run out of room before we realize it. Go back and pull a lever and the wood is dumped off the trucks. Use a skid steer to load and unload the gooseneck.

I go ether way depends on who I'm cutting with. I prefer to cut logs about 12' and haul them home on my 18' trailer. I use a 4 wheeler with chains and winch for my skidder and use the sawdust for chicken bedding. If I'm camping I will cut the rounds to use at camp and still fill my trailer before I go home.

"limb wood", stuff around 6" or less comes home in 8' or less lengths and onto my sawbuck, all else cuts 16" with the big stuff either wedged or noodled down to reasonable size. (I have to load everything manually).

Harry K

I haul 90" logs, the longest that will fit in the back of my truck with the tailgate closed and still be a 15" increment which is what i cut my firewood to.
Tried doing all the cutting in the woods but took too long, by keeping the wood longer i can get multiple loads a day instead of one, maybe two if i'm lucky. Then process at home when i have the time.

I try and keep them at the 18" mark. Five rows of stacking for the truck and trailer makes it nice.

Ray

I cut all mine to firewood size right where it hit the ground. If it's a big tree the splitter even goes to the woods with me.
Leaves all the mess in the woods and I don't have to handle anything super heavy that way.

Where I cut, everything get cut to 16". Smaller rounds get loaded as is and the large ones get quartered. Unfortunatly the only motorized equiptment I can use on the army base is a chinsaw.

Log length, I try to cut 80", the width of my trailer, and I use a mini skid steer to move and load them.

Usually depends on where I am cutting at. A good bit of the time I am knocking out a single tree or two, so I will cut to 16" and leave all the mess in the woods. If I am working a lot clearing or the likes and the equipment is already there, then I cut logs as I have a fast means to handle and load them. I have changed the elevation in parts of my yard due to sawchips, so I try to do as much cutting as I can else where... :)

Most of the time I will cut my wood to 16" before I haul it out. My last tree was a 3.5ft dia oak that fell into a dry(at the time) marsh. I trailered my loader tractor over there and moved the large rounds that way. I have pulled my splitter to the site too and would split the large rounds into quarters so I can load chunks without the loader. If I'm clearing a fencerow for a farmer I'll leave the smaller stuff long and cut it up later.

I do it both ways. When I cut at my own place it guts cut to length on the spot. When we clear at work it gets loaded in log length on the dump truck and dumped in the yard.:biggrinbounce2:

If I can, i grab the entire tree(s), put it on my truck, sometimes 8 feet sticking out the back, take it home, dump it, and cut it up when I have time.. that way if I NEED wood, i have it, it just needs to get cut. And then you have time to go back and get more the same way.

I usually cut within 10 miles of the house and I live in town. This means that I take the splitter out with me most of the time and leave the mess out there. Working logs at home is not practical. I come home with split wood ready for stacking. I have three trailers so I come home and swap if I need to. Right now they are all full of wood that needs unloading. One of them has burr oak that needs spit because I was just checking the quality of the dead tree that day and only brought a little home. When I go back, I am taking the splitter and 6 ton trailer.

Latest posts

Back