Tree lifespans

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
begleytree said:
...I'll have to stick to my origional statement, that the sheer population, combined with interacial couplings and easy and frequent travel across vast, before unheard of, distances, all combine to keep our species...stagnant, for now....

That's interesting - I would've thought that interracial (or maybe intercultural) matings would serve to spread evolutionary changes. And that intraracial matings would serve to smother those changes.

As far as knowing if the human race is still evolving - evolutionary changes are so small and slow in appearing that I'm not sure we can say one way or the other. We can postulate however!

rbtree said:
Here's a website devoted to the oldest known living tree--Methuselah-- and it's grove. I visited it back in 1968...an awesome gnarled patriarch it is!!!
http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/nova/methuselah/

Thanks for that site. Isn't it amazing that it's not an environment where everything is given to the tree that inspires long life, but one in which the tree has to struggle?

Latest posts

Back