Tree loaded with holes and bees! (or wasps)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nitecapt

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
After moving into our new home we noticed a pine tree in the backyard which had holes around the perimeter of the trunk in circles around the trunk.Thought it might be woodpeckers at first but today I saw lots of bees at the holes. They just seemed to climb in a short way and then come out. Can someone tell me what's going on? Will this kill my evergreen? Do they need to be exterminated? If so, how?
Any help would be appreciated?

Attachments

• treeholes.JPG
    treeholes.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 33
  • tree holes 2.JPG
    tree holes 2.JPG
    3.4 MB · Views: 36
  • treeholes 3.JPG
    treeholes 3.JPG
    2.3 MB · Views: 35
  • the bee.JPG
    the bee.JPG
    447.4 KB · Views: 31
Thank you any ideas on how to stop this from happening?

You'll find lots of ideas of how to chase/prevent the birds on line. It can range from wrapping trunk with burlap to fake snakes. The sapsucker is a protected species.

Thanks....I have 2 more issues I will be posting soon. This place its a mess

https://www.tipsbulletin.com/how-to-kill-hornets/
Found a site that says how to get rid of the "Bald Faced Hornets" but the funniest line is

For this way to get rid of hornets naturally, wait until it is dark to target the nest. Wear protective clothing like long sleeves and pants, gloves, and a hat. Spray the nest quickly and run to safety within the house or outbuilding. The hornets will not be happy.

I decided the best way to be rid of them is to go there and tell them a bald faced lie in that the other tree is better, then wrap the tree in burlap while they are gone

After moving into our new home we noticed a pine tree in the backyard which had holes around the perimeter of the trunk in circles around the trunk.Thought it might be woodpeckers at first but today I saw lots of bees at the holes. They just seemed to climb in a short way and then come out. Can someone tell me what's going on? Will this kill my evergreen? Do they need to be exterminated? If so, how?
Any help would be appreciated?
That's a woodpecker hole(s)
Its called a Sapsucker of some kind.
Not much you can do about it.
I have several Apple trees with those holes and they're doing fine.
Sapsuckers will drill holes by removing little bits of bark so sap flows and then they eat the sap.
Those wasps are just eating some sap or using the holes to lays their eggs in or to store food in for later.
Nature never wastes opportunities.
I think it'll be ok. Just leave it all alone and enjoy nature.

Latest posts

Back