Tree Morphogenesis book 1 - free deownload - seeking feedback

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I flipped though the thread and a few links. I canna say saw anything new or revealing its reduction pruning or just give it DTU "detail tidy up" what I'd call RVT. To the author nice to see your passionate about your trade bat on there lad, thou all them big words made my head spin:msp_confused: .

Any work upon any tree Primum non nocere is 1st point to considered after that your just shaping it for your client not the trees needs.

Actually they DON't seem to try their damnedest to grow bigger!

At least, not for a few years and in that time the growth seems lateral and consolidating rather than expansive and exploratory.

That is perhaps evidence of the type of growth being modified by the action and the influence seems to persist. They are "Morphosubdued" as you wonderfully imagineered.

Conversely if I prune more than 25% RVT, I have noticed an epicormic response and the higher the relative % the more pronounced the epicormic response.

For that reason, as an alternative to pollarding, I have used RVT of over 40% as a less extreme alternative to re-pollarding, thinning the co-dominant leaders and by stressing the tree through the loss of leaf so that it has to sprout epicormics from the old pollard point, and therefore recycling it's own branches without ever removing all of the branches. Clients like that.

Ok, RVT as an alternative to pollarding is brutal butt still it is more aesthetically sensitive than pollarding.

Ran that through good ole google translate. Pollarding came out as habitual topping. The gist of what I'm getting is that your thesis is that selective thinning and crown reduction is better for a tree than topping it. I hate to break it to you, but that isn't exactly earth shattering news. This is starting to remind me of a new diet book, where when you finish it you realize you should eat less and excercise more.

The things i done to trees is beyond cruel. Spending 30 years hacking the heads of them for power lines clearance you'll soon see how poorly it harms them. Then in time begin to learn how by adapting your cuts and target points u also start to know differing tree species regrowth & wound response so you may start to minimize the impact.

Then when client ask to knock the top off or thin it out for light views hazard or whatever. I can achieve this keeping the better interest of the tree in mind

The things i done to trees is beyond cruel. Spending 30 years hacking the heads of them for power lines clearance you'll soon see how poorly it harms them. Then in time begin to learn how by adapting your cuts and target points u also start to know differing tree species regrowth & wound response so you may start to minimize the impact.

Then when client ask to knock the top off or thin it out for light views hazard or whatever. I can achieve this keeping the better interest of the tree in mind

So we all try to make progress; better than yesterday is my goal. Attached are some stumblings along the way. I like David's approach; a good step along the way; little wheel turns by fire and rod, Big wheel turns by grace of God.

So we all try to make progress; better than yesterday is my goal. Attached are some stumblings along the way. I like David's approach; a good step along the way

Nice reminder of past published articles Guy, thanks.

Like you I was pleased to see David's approach in the videos on YouTube and I know many of the people I have worked with over the years take a very similar sensitive approach to their pruning jobs.

I would like to have read the book but when I tried to download it Amazon informed me copyright prevented me from buying it (I'm in NZ) hopefully this is just a glitch and I will be able to read the book soon to be able to form an opinion based on what David has written.

I would like to have read the book but when I tried to download it Amazon informed me copyright prevented me from buying it (I'm in NZ) hopefully this is just a glitch and I will be able to read the book soon to be able to form an opinion based on what David has written.

Somebody related the same problem when they tried to download in Oz so to all you Antipodean Arborists, please accept my apology if you do have problems.

I will try to get to the bottom of this, but I am informed that if any of you use IP blockers (for downloads perhaps?), you can disguise your location so that they could not identify your location to block your download.

Rest assured that I am desperate to get this in front of Arborists everywhere so if anybody else has any insights, please post them here.

If you are in NZ or OZ and you have problems downloading my book, email me and as I find a proper solution, I will let you know or I will get it to you some other way.

I share your experience in Utility Arboriculture (see Energised Alert by Live Alert Ltd.).

It is clear from what you say that in spite of the brutality of the discipline implicit in that job, you have engaged and empathised with the trees in your care. It's hard not to isn't it.?

I have restrained from mentioning Utility Arb up to now because I suspect that debate will be rather involved, but I believe that even that form of tree management could be more sympathetically done by adapting some of the principles of RVT and once you have read it, I would very much like to find out if you saw anything that might influence you in that role?

I too have killed many thousands of trees. It was the profound guilt that I feel still, that motivated me to write this book and the fact that I owe those trees for everything good in my life.

PC Access
This is where things get silly. Amazon has a free Kindle for PC application to read kindle books on your PC. This is not accessible, but they do have Kindle for PC accessibility plug in. This works well, but you cannot download it in New Zealand. It is currently available in Australia, Canada, U.K. and U.S. You can download the Kindle for PC application in New Zealand, just not the accessible plug in. We have no idea why. Technically you could download it from overseas, or get someone to send you the file, but this could be in breach of your terms of service with Amazon. We haven’t had an answer from them.
The passage above is an excerpt from this webpage Part 2: Amazon & Kindle - RNZFB.org.nz

How to unblock the contents on Amazon’s Kindle?
Because of Amazon’s tracking system on your IP’s origin, the solution simply consists of switching it to an US one. A VPN is an ease-to-use application which allows you to connect to a VPN server which provides you an IP according to its country location.
Thus to unblock the Amazon’s Kindle contents, you just have to connect to an US server! However you also have to get an Amazon US account, so here is a way to proceed:
Create an account at the Amazon web store at amazon.com
Select the table ‘Manage your Kindle’ and then from the Country Settings choose United States.
Change your address to an address in the United States.
Register for the credit card details, your address don’t have to be an US one.
From Kindle outside US – How to unblock 2012 Amazon’s Kindle with a VPN service? | ST4RT-VPN Blog

So it looks like you should be able to download the Kindle for (your device) app and then download the book albeit with a bit of messing around.

Or ask your friend who downloads films etc because they will be up to speed with IP blockers, VPN (Virtual Private Networks), proxy servers and all sorts of such things that are as interesting to me as pushing pins into my eyes. OK slight overstatement there but you get my meaning...

Hey if anybody in NZ sorts it, please let others know exactly how you did it.

If any of you are still having problems downloading the specific Kindle app for your device or perhaps locating the url of your local Amazon outlet where you can get your free copy from or maybe you are wanting to hang back for the printed version that should be available in a few weeks, whatever the reasons if you haven't already downloaded the free e-book, consider this...

I sat down and read it myself on Monday. As I did, I imagined the many other Arborists would be doing the same around the world. I found a few details that need changing and that means yet another edit but what i wanted to mention here, is that I completely forgot the many other resources that are linked to from within the book as you read it.#

Reading it in an e-reader gives you the opportunity to open those resources in other browser windows before returning to the story. That to me is far more convenient than a traditional book.#

I have projected 2-3 hours to read the book but if you follow all of the links to the resources that are there to expand the learning opportunities, then I estimate that you could spend twice that amount of time or more, going off at interesting tangents to the story.

One more thing I would like you all to consider.

Te Tree Morphogenesis Project might be an example of a way that you can attract and engage with your audience.

So self publishing is definitely a business model that you should look at and understand. I would say this of course, but I don't believe you will find a better example of the genre than the book that I am trying to put in front of you.

You can download the book free for just a few more days.

Luved the article on pole pruners thanks for that TS wolf garten is my choice of these. Each week mine saves hundred in man hours $ climbing or even EWP use need a low limb is easy fixed from the side walk.
Wolf Garten is da bomb. On most trees I work on, a pole clip is essential--even for Strasser and Chisholm-- to do the kind of pruning that David seems to generally describe.

I've been really busy recently, spring has kicked in and the days aren't long enough. I've tried settling into the book in the evening as I downloaded it with a kindle app on my phone. Trouble is I'm real tired in the evening and just can't face more than a page, it reads like a legal document which in itself isn't a problem but it's just no fun, it doesn't flow. I'm nowhere near the important bit yet Sorry but, you asked for feedback. I'll try again when I'm not so vacant

I've been really busy recently, spring has kicked in and the days aren't long enough. I've tried settling into the book in the evening as I downloaded it with a kindle app on my phone. Trouble is I'm real tired in the evening and just can't face more than a page, it reads like a legal document which in itself isn't a problem but it's just no fun, it doesn't flow. I'm nowhere near the important bit yet Sorry but, you asked for feedback. I'll try again when I'm not so vacant

I hope that you do find time to read it a chapter at a time as I can see that you would find it hard to engage reading it at just a page or two at a time.

Others who have given me feedback have said that they found the writing style easy and entertaining (as I hoped that I had designed it to be, after all the real intended audience are tree owners) so please do struggle through the opening and if possible cover as many pages as you can in one sitting. Then you will quickly get to the bits that will hopefully grab your attention by showing you new facets of trees and their evolved design that will have relevance for you.

They start in Chapter 2 and every Chapter from there to 9 will give a new perspective on different aspects of trees some of which will surprise you.

Some Chapters are short while others are much more involved but as I said, try to cover a Chapter at a time and I hope that you will find each thought provoking for different reasons.

We are close to having hard copies available too.

It was always designed to be an A4 or A5 size book specifically so that the images would be large enough for the details to be clear. Reading it on an I-phone is possibly the most extremely confined way to display it. That in itself may be spoiling the read for you so consider trying to transfer to the Kindle for PC app instead.

We have a number of pre-orders for the hard copy but due to costs they will not be free like the Kindle version has been (and will be again in the future) and the first batch are due to be available in a few weeks time.

It's autumn here : -( . I miss those vibrant lime greens of spring that always make my spirits soar for some reason and the nights are getting shorter. The ONLY good thing is that during the long winter nights, I plan to knock book 2 into shape.

Last edited:
Hi again.

Just a quick note to wish all of you Arborists the best in 2014.

For the holidays, my book will be available as a free download from Christmas eve to Boxing Day.

Please grab a copy from your local Amazon store or find it through the Tree Morphogenesis website and tell me what you think.

If you find it thought provoking, Great. However, if you find new and unusual insights that you will be able to use every day, then and only then will I have hit my mark.

Cheers, David Lloyd-Jones

Hi again.

Just a quick note to wish all of you Arborists the best in 2014.

For the holidays, my book will be available as a free download from Christmas eve to Boxing Day.

Please grab a copy from your local Amazon store or find it through the Tree Morphogenesis website and tell me what you think.

If you find it thought provoking, Great. However, if you find new and unusual insights that you will be able to use every day, then and only then will I have hit my mark.

Cheers, David Lloyd-Jones

Give me a link,,,I have 2 Kindles,,,

Latest posts

Back