tree name question

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Scott M

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I have an Oklahoma bottom-land tree that I would like identified. It is very unique in that it has HUGE and DENSE thorns all over the branches and much of the trunk. I'm talking over two inches long. It actually make my stomach turn just looking at one of these trees in the winter.

I cut a few of these trees each winter, but I do not know what it looks like in the summer. Last week I cut one with a diameter of about 10 inches and at least 40 feet tall. I remember it having a dark trunk exterior.

We always refer to them as "Thorn Trees" but I would like to know the real name. I have a guess based on some brief research but I am looking for another opinion. I wish I could provide more info.

Any ideas??

I'm betting it is a Honey Locust tree. The thorns are in clumps and branched (several points on each stem). You can get really good traction shinnying up these, don't slip much!!! Just kidding on that, don't try it.

Bob Underwood

gletri47.jpg

gletri04.jpg

]
gletri01.jpg

http://www.hort.uconn.edu/plants/a/a.html

Yes!

Bingo!

This is it!

Pure evil!

I had a thorn puncture the top of my glove and my hand was swollen heavily for two days (and in pain).

Honey Locust was what I expected, but I had not seen a good picture until now.

Thanks!

I'm not trying to prove anyone wrong, however the honey locust with thorns is actually known as Black Locust, or so i've been taught anyhow. It may vary from area i suppose.

The black locust is Robinia psudoacacia and the honey locust is Gleditsia triacanthos, if it is thornles it is var. inermis.

Black locust is prety ugly except for the spring flower display when the look like clouds.

robps05.jpg

Back