Tree on roof

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BC WetCoast

Addicted to ArboristSite
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
Got an emergency call this afternoon. A previously topped cedar had snapped at the topping cut. Two tops on the customers roof/gutters, one through the roof and into the bedroom and one in the neighbour's yard.

In the front yard, a deodora, previously topped had one of its tops peel off.

It was the only damage in the neighbourhood, so I figure it was a localized wind event.

Hour and half work, hour and half travel.

As it is an insurance job, all we do is clear the roof, so the restoration company can tarp the roof and assess the damage. The homeowner will be responsible for the cleanup at a later date.

Damn...sucks to see a tree go like that....topping in "most" situations...such a bad thing.

Any pictures???

Had a storm removal of a whole tree...(tired forgot the name), its "knickname" is Silky Tree...

40 ft tall 35'' dbh...fell on roof...gutter and eves all smashed up.

Good money though.

Sorry...not trying to steal the thread.

Ah, dang...

Well cant complain i had mine but the batteries were dead...client took a bunch i am gonna ask for some.

Canyon

In my opinion toping shouldent be done probbly a good reason for it,
do something else like a crown reduction

Im no arborist thoue

These were topped probably about 20-25 years ago when we really didn't know or distribute the knowledge better. People got scared of the size of the tree and had them topped without thinking what would happen in the future.

30 years ago when I started in this business, I had heard topping was bad. How long before old-school become obsolete. I think I am about as old school as they come, (I started climbing with hemp...because there wasn't anything out there better then), and I remember my first boss telling about the hazards of topping, leaving stubs, etc. Sure some things have advanced since then (alot of things) but topping has been an out-dated practice for at least 50 years.

Latest posts

Back