Tree Question - Abnormal (???) Amount of Sap Leaking

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 64030

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
I will post some pics, hadn't really thought of it until today. So if I make it home before sun-down pics will be up tonight.

I have a (???) someone told me Wild Cherry but other say it is to big (tall - around 50') for a Cherry, I'll admit it looks like no fruit tree I've seen. I cut the lowest branch off 2 years ago and was barely able to reach it w/ a 14' pole saw.

The tree circled is the one I am refering to...

View attachment 211103

211103d1323708387-tree-jpg

Anyway it has been leaking sap from the sides of the trunk this past year (never really noticed before). I was splitting some wood over the weekend, and noticed there is a large pile of sap at the base. Just from memory it is maybe a 12" wide, 18" long looks 2" deep pile of amber sap. I now fall is when the sap comes back down, but this seems to be a lot of leakage.

My first thought is some borer has hit it, though it looked healthy all summer. We did just have a Cicada summer, but thought they hit branches not the trunk. I am also 1 county away from KY's Emerald Ash Borer quarantine area, and not but a few miles as the bug flies...

If the tree wasn't leaning toward my neighbors power lines, I might try felling it myself. I have been considering removal since i moved in because of the size and proximity to the house (~12').

I know pics won't show the entire story, and was also wondering if anyone on here works in or close to the Taylorsville Lake / Mt. Washington KY area and would be interested in taking a look see...

dw

Last edited:
I will post some pics, hadn't really thought of it until today. So if I make it home before sun-down pics will be up tonight.

I have a (???) someone told me Wild Cherry but other say it is to big (tall - around 50') for a Cherry, I'll admit it looks like no fruit tree I've seen. I cut the lowest branch off 2 years ago and was barely able to reach it w/ a 14' pole saw.

View attachment 211103

Anyway it has been leaking sap from the sides of the trunk this past year (never really noticed before). I was splitting some wood over the weekend, and noticed there is a large pile of sap at the base. Just from memory it is maybe a 12" wide, 18" long looks 2" deep pile of amber sap. I now fall is when the sap comes back down, but this seems to be a lot of leakage.

My first thought is some borer has hit it, though it looked healthy all summer. We did just have a Cicada summer, but thought they hit branches not the trunk. I am also 1 county away from KY's Emerald Ash Borer quarantine area, and not but a few miles as the bug flies...

If the tree wasn't leaning toward my neighbors power lines, I might try felling it myself. I have been considering removal since i moved in because of the size and proximity to the house (~12').

I know pics won't show the entire story, and was also wondering if anyone on here works in or close to the Taylorsville Lake / Mt. Washington KY area and would be interested in taking a look see...

dw

look like this? Is or was there any die back of the branches
http://www.ipm.iastate.edu/ipm/hortnews/2011/7-13/gummosis.html
Gummosis%201.jpg

Last edited:
No. The spots on the tree are small, I have pulled the sap ball off to see the hole, but it has no real shape that I could see, so I wasn't thinking boring bugs until now. The balls on the tree are similar in diameter to a dime/nickel size ball, then falls off (assumtion since the groud is (was) scattered w/ them as well. The huge pile of sap is what is making me ask...

As far as branches, nothing I could see, of course the lowest branch is now several feet above the house so I cannot see a lot, but it had good foilage all summer, 1-2 dead branches but they have been there, or are from '09 ice damage.

dw

Tree iissue on the Cherry

The Tree has Gumosis - bacterial issue on the tree. Time to take it down-the tree doesn't know it's dead yet

View attachment 211103

211103d1323708387-tree-jpg

dw

Pics added

13 pics ----> HERE

A few individuals from the album...

You can see where it is seeping from cracks in the bark

tree%20damage

The sap/gum at the base is not as dark, or as hard as the piece in my hand.

tree%20damage

tree%20damage

Those are 8' 2x4s in the bottom left of the pic for refernce, like I said above not sure the tree, but not sure it's a Cherry, just never heard of them getting so tall.

tree%20damage

After reading the link Stihl-o-matic provided, it may be Gumosis as he and Loraxguy suggest it may be, but the tree does not really appear to have the same type of physical damage, it just seems to ooze from the natural cracks in the bark.

...and thanks for the replies so far.

dw

Last edited:
Anyway it has been leaking sap from the sides of the trunk this past year (never really noticed before). I was splitting some wood over the weekend, and noticed there is a large pile of sap at the base.

My first thought is some borer has hit it,

Wait a sec before you fire up the chainsaw. Gumosis is a symptom not a disease! Exudate low on the main stem could be borers. Look for frass in the gum. Have a qualified plant health care tech out to diagnose the issue so a management strategy can be developed. $150 and you may be able to keep the tree. :msp_thumbup:

Wait a sec before you fire up the chainsaw. Gumosis is a symptom not a disease! Exudate low on the main stem could be borers. Look for frass in the gum. Have a qualified plant health care tech out to diagnose the issue so a management strategy can be developed. $150 and you may be able to keep the tree. :msp_thumbup:

Thanks, although this has been on the "I'd like it gone" tree list since I moved in... I hate cutting good trees, but I am on top of a hill in an area that get enough bad weather I can see it or 2 others that I can spit on from inside my house coming on over on the house. That said it is not coming down any time soon, as I can't fell it against the natural lean even w/ wedges, so it will need some one to climb it (guess i could redneck it w/ a truck, some rope, and a good face cut). The only option for full fell is 180 degrees opposite the natural lean, and almost all branches are on the side of the lean (it was/is on the edge of forest meets field), so it has a lot of counter-balance to fight. So when I get the funds to get it looked at, that person will likely drop it as well if that is the call...

I didn't think bore bugs because when I checked the spots this summer I didn't see any "uniform" tunnels when I pulled the gum ball off the tree. I really hope the EAB devil isn't making it this way... :( Though what I read on EAB says the tunnels are usually a D shaped opening, and didn't see that. My neighbor lost a lot of Ash this summer as well.

I already have another tree that i think I will fell in the spring if it doesn't come out well. It lost most of its foliage in July-Aug while all other trees were fine. It is blocking light to a young but producing Walnut so if it doesn't green out, it may come down, but then if it don't green out it won't block light so I may leave it because it can provide good wildlife nesting even if dead. :)

dw

Sure does look like a wild cherry(Prunus serotina) as has been mentioned.

Prunus serotina - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Should you decide to remove this tree it would be quite easy to fell it against its lean........especially 180° against its lean. Arborist use throw bags and throw lines to set ropes. A rope set at about 70% of this trees height would make it an easy pull and fell. If you get an arborist to fell it with you doing the clean up you could save some bucks. Wild Cherry is often in demand for smoking meats. I get $75. Per quarter cord when it's split picked up at my place.

Wild cherry often gets the Northern Tent Caterpillar but it seldom does any real harm. In the early spring the NTC builds spider web like tents in the tree crotches where the young stay for protection.

I've got a few wild cherries around the yard and like them mostly because they provide a good food source for birds. Of course wild cherry trees provide benefits to the landscape and environment like most all trees do.

Spending $150. for a consultation on this tree is a waste of money in my opinion. If you don’t like it…..take it out.

Yea it could be felled w/ ropes, and I have done that before, but I would still have to hire that out as I don't have the tools to get a rope high enough in the tree.

I never thought of selling it to smokers... I know it has value as timber, especially if it qualifies as a veneer log. Not that any company will come get it, but pop & I took a red oak to a mill and got a few bucks from it. Enough to make it worth the trip especially since he wanted it gone to begin with, because it was rotting from the ground up. I really don't "want" it gone, just wish it wasn't where it is. When I moved in 3 years ago, the lowest branch was rubbing my roof shingles, so I had to cut that. It and 2 other trees are still over-hanging my roof. They keep my gutters clogged with leaves, and little twigs :mad:. Other than that and the fear they will fall on the house, I like them.

dw

I assumed this was a keeper since dwraisor inquired about its health in the op.
stay or go - gumosis probably is not from EAB. :msp_biggrin:

I assumed this was a keeper since dwraisor inquired about its health in the op.
stay or go - gumosis probably is not from EAB. :msp_biggrin:

My major concern would be if it has something that could spread to my other 1/2 acre of forest/trees as I have several large hard-woods several of which are mast bearing, and several cedars I cannot get my arms around. So I am interested in knowing if I need to get it down, and gone to prevent spreading... if it has to go it goes, if it stays it just means I get more use out of my ladder and gutter cleaning tools. :)

dw

I don't think it's a veneer log. Most companys don't want anything to do with a yard tree because of 'tramp' metal that damages they expensive blades.

Not wanting it gone but not wanting it where it is a rought one to solve as it's a bit too big to move.

Yea I know it wouldn't make a veneer tree, or not the botom log anyway. I am certain teh bottom 4' has an old wire fence as it in the border line, and there is fence line in 2 other trees in line, and the appearance of the tree growing over the wire (bulged in eqal distance bands. It does have a good log above this though. Timber harvest definitely isn't the goal, but if it has value to someone, it be better than seeing it go to fodder for the marshmallow roasting...

dw

First, you need to make the call on if you want it or not. If you want to keep it, an ON-SITE consultation will be able to determine its viabilty. If not, then its "health" is a moot point. Sap loss in trees is not uncommon, and does not always indicate a pest/pathogen. Wood boring insects tend to be specific to a limited number of tree species, i.e. EAB attacks ONLY Ash, Bronze Birch Borer attacks only Birch. If you have a diverse specie tree stand the odds of them getting attacked by one specie of borer is VERY small. Also, borers for the most part are secondary, meaning they are "lazy" and tend to gravitate to weak trees. if your tree stand is healthy this greatly reduces the risk, but only a consultation will provide those answers...

First, you need to make the call on if you want it or not...

Still trying to figure that out.... I like the tree, or trees in general, I don't like it being so close to my home. I also know it will likely stand there longer than my house as long as it is not infested or sick... my worries about a storm taking it out are likely a little over the top but, I still worry.

Thanks all for the replies and rep sent. find this a very helpful forum.

dw

Still trying to figure that out.... I like the tree, or trees in general, I don't like it being so close to my home. I also know it will likely stand there longer than my house as long as it is not infested or sick... my worries about a storm taking it out are likely a little over the top but, I still worry.

So end the worries by having the tree pruned. 20% reduction should make it much more stable. If you are near Loovul, call Limbwalker. If Lexington, try Dave Leonard. A good arborist will also work on the gummosis issue through cauterization and phosphite and mulch.

"They keep my gutters clogged with leaves, and little twigs."

Getting up there and cleaning out the gutters a couple times a year, or better yet installing gutter guards, is well worth the contributions by the tree.

"Other than that and the fear they will fall on the house, I like them."

You sound like too reasonable a person to fall for polarization. Lots of options besides keep-or-kill. :smile2:

Treeseer, Thanks for the references... I am just outside Louisville, and will send limbwalker a note. Yea I know its not black or white, and gutter guards are definitely on the to do list. I am not certain the tree could be trimmed back much. It is not a tree from a yard or open area. My 1+ acre lot is 50% woods, and it is over 100 yards across the hollow to the houses behind me. This tree is typical of the trees in the woods, straight as far as it has to be to get to the canopy. Some years back the ridge top was cleared for some pasture fields and this tree was on the edge, it has a few branches on the side to the field but none over 4" dia (guessing) and the tree is a good ~20" itself at chest height.

I will have someone come take a look at ti and see what can be done.

dw

I agree, it sure looks like wild cherry. I have a 30' ladder I use to put ropes up. Yes, 180deg from lean and branches is better than 90deg.

...If you are near Loovul, call Limbwalker. If Lexington, try Dave Leonard.....

I found 3 Limbwalkers on here in the member list, none close to Louisville.

I was out splitting more wood today, and with sun shinning on it I saw a something I have not seen there until today...

tree%20damage

tree%20damage

So I think I am going to take it down, these bore holes are in perfect little rows, about a foot aprat about 7-8 ' of the ground...

Anyone know of a someon in this area that can take this out? All I need is someone to fell it. I'll buck, split, & burn the rest.

Oh, and Merry Christmas.

dw

Latest posts

Back