Tree sculpture saws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Saw itself isn't necessarily that unique. There's lots of consumer ones that work well. The bar and chain typically are unique though. If you check Bailey's (and others) you'll find carving packages consisting of chain, rim sprocket/ spur, and carving bar for many small popular consumer saws. Stihl has an 8mm tip bar now, next common size up is "dime" tip (10mm), then quarter tip (12mm) and from there you get into (in Cannon lingo) Toonie tip and arborist tip. Anything smaller then the quarter tip should have a 1/4" pitch chain, and can be used on the others as well. Quarter tip bar and larger can use 3/8 lo-pro or .325. There are carving chains available in both 1/4 and 3/8 that work better for plunging deeper cuts. Even a arborist nosed bar and standard chain can do fairly detailed work if you want to experiment to try it out, BUT BEWARE, THEY DO TEND TO KICK BACK. The larger the radius on the nose of the bar, the more it's going to want to shoot upward if you try to stuff the bar in perpendicular to the piece you are working on. Most bars used for carving are fairly short, 10" to 14". 10" gives better control, sometimes you need a little longer bar to reach around other things. I prefer smaller saws myself, 35cc or so. You end up working at different heights then you do falling or bucking firewood. For the same reason, this can be fairly dangerous. Maybe start out on pieces that are laying down before doing a fixed stump. For years I looked for a Kevlar shirt and saw pants (that I could wear in the summertime, I've got a couple pairs of wintertime ones that I smolder in) because when carving you are working at unconventional heights. I believe there are both available through both Husky and Stihl down there, as well as most safety gear supply places. Was never able to get my hands on them here. So use caution and have fun. Hope this helps.

It really depends how comfortable you are with a saw. Personally i use "consumer grade" saws mostly echo's from big box stores then buy a spare muffler to modify, and carving bar and chain. Respect the SAW and wear PPE. IMO the carving bar and chain make the biggest difference. unless your working with something HUGE, the power head almost doesn't matter. Everyone is Different, I use the saw for mostly Rough shaping and texturing. I know alot of guys who can "sign their name" in script using a chainsaw like it was a pen. Baileys is great, Amazon has some great deals now and again on smaller saws.
What experience level are you? what exactly are you looking for.

It really depends how comfortable you are with a saw. Personally i use "consumer grade" saws mostly echo's from big box stores then buy a spare muffler to modify, and carving bar and chain. Respect the SAW and wear PPE. IMO the carving bar and chain make the biggest difference. unless your working with something HUGE, the power head almost doesn't matter. Everyone is Different, I use the saw for mostly Rough shaping and texturing. I know alot of guys who can "sign their name" in script using a chainsaw like it was a pen. Baileys is great, Amazon has some great deals now and again on smaller saws.
What experience level are you? what exactly are you looking for.
Can you post a pic of your saw b/c combo and what do you have invested in it?

Sure ill have to do that later,once I get home. It's nothing special just a 12inch carving bar and chain, on a muffler modded echo 310.

Back