Tree Selection; Replacement for Atlas Cedar

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shortbean

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Tree Selection; Replacement for Atlas Cedar

I live in the John Muir hometown of Martinez, Ca 94553 Zone 9b. My home backs up to a hillside with a 15 degree incline for 100 feet until the next set of houses is reached. The hillside is covered by grass and is host to 25-45 foot Atlas Cedars, 20-50 foot Black Pines (I think that is what my nursery guy told me.) Two peppers trees grow at bottom of hill one is 30 feet tall; the other was planted at the exact same time on a sharp incline in hardpan and is only 9 feet tall. Hard pan is VERY common in the area and VERY thick. The area gets decent winter water but very little late spring- summer- early fall water. Aptos Blue Redwoods do very well in the well-watered common areas but this area is not watered in summer and receives almost no natural water but for the occasional heavy fog.

I have planted two redwoods in this unwatered section along the road and drip lined them to give them time for roots to reach the well watered area. They are doing well so far but probably have not hit the hard pan yet as I made huge holes to start them out.

I want to plant trees on the hillside. The nursery did not have any atlas cedars and didn’t feel like paying $$$ to order it through them. I could go back to the Atlas Cedar but interested in other alternatives. The nursery guy said I should use Deordar cedar but I haven’t seen one get the rounded top that the tree books suggest they do. Guidelines…
1) I want a tree that after 5-10 years would not require the drip line on the dry hillside.
2) I prefer the rounded top like the Atlas Cedar so as to block the partial view of the one house I can see on top of the hill.
3) About 25-60 feet tall.
4) I would prefer a fast growing tree.
5) I need an evergreen.
6) I wish to preserve the mostly Tahoe feel and plant a conifer: cedar, pine, fir, or redwood.

And who is a good on-line or bay area tree supplier.

thx
shelly

Originally posted by shortbean
Deordar cedar but I haven’t seen one get the rounded top that the tree books suggest they do. Guidelines…
Deodara doesn't get a rounded top until late maturity; for your kids/grandkids.

I'm far from CA so no more help from here.:alien:

And how exactly do you "dripline" a tree??? Taht's a new term to me.

I ran 1/4 " drip line to the tree then attached a 1/4" soaker hose around base to keep it watered. Like we do for all the wine grapes and what not out here in lala land.

thx for reply... What would be good zone 9b drought resistant conifer?

Originally posted by shortbean
soaker hose around base to keep it watered. Like we do for all the wine grapes
IMO the hose belongs not at the base but under the ends of the branches, because you want active root growth away from the base, and no rot at the base.

Zone 9b, aahhh, reminds me of south florida, so mild.

I'm in zone 7, no help here. Try your ag ext agent?

Why don't you look at Austrian pine? I think it's the best performer I've seen in Portland, and I don't think your coastal climate is that much differenct than what we see here at times.

Start prying around to find out what website the nurseries are going to to see who has what in stock in the state. Oregon has a website like that - California must.

Maybe you will find the atlas cedar that way.

How about decidous? Do you like beech?

Latest posts

Back