Tree service guy want me to give him a quote

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
call him back and tell him you did the job already with the help of us nice people at arboristsite.com .....

If the guy knows what he is doing and you are comfortable with that then ask him what his hourly rate is. Work it out as a time and materials job. If he doesn't go for that then find someone else or get your vasilene ready.

Just sayin!

Ask for proof of insurance for Tree work, ask the climber how he plans on taking them down and then watch to see if they know what they are doing. Pay at the end of job, never give money before hand. If the first tree goes good, continue.

a little arrogant on your part

he has an experienced climber, is a general contractor, so he should know business
the only thing it sounds like he doesnt know is pricing

Maybe so.. but if he has an experienced climber then presumably the climber has taken down a few trees. One might think..

So why not rely on the climber to tell him how long it will take to drop and clean up.. assuming he has one or two groundmen to help.

He knows what they have in way of chipper, truck, etc... and being a general he should have some idea of operating costs.. once he knows time he should be able to figure what he needs to make.

So.. sounds to me like a couple of things...
a) he is not familiar with what others charge in area
b) he wants job and does not want to scare customer away (and get other quotes)
c) he would like to think you would come in higher than he was asking.. and simply agree on your price vs leaving money on table (see point a above)

Not sure what to tell you.. if I tell you a higher price (which is what it is likely worth).. then you may pay more than he would ask.. on other hand I am not going to encourage a lowballer price either :)

Around here.. would be minimum of $1200 for a days work with two guys.. this time of year.. depends on disposal fees, equipment needed, etc.. as could be higher.

Ask for proof of insurance for Tree work, ask the climber how he plans on taking them down and then watch to see if they know what they are doing. Pay at the end of job, never give money before hand. If the first tree goes good, continue.

Good points!! Get certificate of insurance (any insurance company can provide).. ensure it has Tree Removal stated as one of the insured items.

Pay at end of job.. good point too.. but although some would ask in advance, we never bill until after job completed, cleaned up and inspected. But guess some would.

he hands you a copy of his insurance that specifies he is covered doing tree work.Becareful........

Get certificate of insurance.. and have sent to you by their broker.. not handed to you by contractor (hate to be anal here.. but it is impossible to forge if coming from broker)..

When looking at certificate look for "Tree Removals".. And ensure coverage is at least a couple of million.. (minimum people carry around here is $3m.. but that can vary from area to area)

Allright, everybody be quiet for a sec...

Ok, listen, but still be quiet, see this just maybe one of our own ####ing with us or it maybe a valid and if its valid then its pretty interesting though a little odd huh?

Now don't anybody say anything til this guys puts a pic.

Got any pictures, some of us here would be able to give you a rough estimate. Like Blakes said most of us would have em on the ground in a day. Let us know

Haha no doubt with the way you both are tearing it down like it wouldn't be there tomorrow. Just cause it could don't mean it should now who's going for lunch?:hmm3grin2orange:

Now don't go talking like that to much, we gotta make a few bucks here, can't let them know how easy it is. Better to leave a mess for a few days, let them know how hard it is.

Now don't go talking like that to much, we gotta make a few bucks here, can't let them know how easy it is. Better to leave a mess for a few days, let them know how hard it is.

Yep everybody thinks tree work is easy.. after all just cutting down a little ole tree.. :laugh: Surely anybody with a little ole wild thingy can do that..

Well,
As for price, we can all talk about what it would cost "here"-unfortunately that is not "there". The gentleman mentioned he is located on an island. Is the "town" located on the island as well or is it on the mainland? Depending on that, how accessible is the island with trucks/equipment/gear? Do you have to ferry everything over? When do the ferrys run (it might affect the length of your work day). Also, if you've ever been to Alaska you know everything cost a LOT more due to the logistics.

Last edited:
Well,
As for price, we can all talk about what it would cost "here"-unfortunately that is not "there". The gentleman mentioned he is located on an island. Is the "town" located on the island as well or is it on the mainland? Depending on that, how accessible is the island with trucks/equipment/gear? Do you have to ferry everything over? When do the ferrys run (it might affect the length of your work day). Also, if you've ever been to Alaska you know everything cost a LOT more due to the logistics.

Good points..

Well I think some might be missing the connection between the contractor and the climber. Perhaps the climber is simply working with the contractor as a sub contractor so to speak, paying him a percentage of the profit to get more business or at least establish some business.

Perhaps the contract just doesn't feel comfortable giving out a price that might be to high for you or to low for the climber.

I'm with everyone else get the climber or who ever is actually going to do the cutting to look at it and give you a number. If the person who is actually going to be running the saw can't give you a number you are probably better off finding someone/anyone else.

All this talk and no pictures. Not one response from the OP! Why are you playin this game....?:poop:

Well without pictures it is hard to say how long it will take to properly and safely take down. I do agree an estimate quote should be obtainable within at least 10% although my quotes are set they won't be higher unless it is a tip! I sometimes refund if it gets done faster though.

Well without pictures it is hard to say how long it will take to properly and safely take down. I do agree an estimate quote should be obtainable within at least 10% although my quotes are set they won't be higher unless it is a tip! I sometimes refund if it gets done faster though.

Oh and speed is not the only consideration of a good climber and neither is price. I will do the job sight unseen for 3k plus plane fare:monkey:

When I didnt know what i was doing I tried that once or twice. Had no idea what stuff was worth and had little experience. Knowing what I know today about tree work I realize how lucky I am I didnt kill myself or do a lot of damage to someones property. Even after some years of experience I learn something new all the time about tree work. Its a never ending educating job. With all those things in the way, especially the power lines, there is a lot of risk involved. I understand you dont have a lot of options for a tree service in your area so maybe i'll move up there and start my business over there haha. Too many around here to count. I'll leave you with this thought....when I had only a year experience of climbing; in my honest opinion at the time i felt i was an experienced climber and told people that. I know now I only thought I was experienced and even to this day I dont consider myself experienced because I learn something new all the time. Do you really want to hire someone for a risky job just because they say they are experienced? Get references or hire me, ill do it for half the price of a plane ticket. HAHA

unfortunately I am too old to make the trip. 30 years ago $3000 and plane fare would have been a good time

Latest posts

Back