Tree Service Wood

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Most of the tree service wood that I have received is anything but desirable:
(1) It's never cut to correct length (lots of 12" and 25" logs).
(2) It always has small stubs that I have to remove.
(3) Most of it is green so you gave to store it somewhere for a year.
(4) Lost of Y crotch shows up.
(5) They cut lots of pine and other softwood.

Remember that tree service people seldom burn wood. Their objective is to remove the tree and haul it away. Get in and get out.

If that doesn't bother you, collect all that you want.

LOL, if you want quality wood for free come look at it, agree to take it and haul it off. If you want to deal with what is delivered there might be some fork cuts, logs that are not cut to length and trash. Any serious wood burner burns it all. What do you want for free???

Last edited:
I deliver softwood for free, sometimes with some hard wood mixed in. I put an ad on craigslist for free softwood, and only got a few serious people. I also deliver hardwood for $50 a dump load. Which is about 1 and 1/2 to 2 cords of wood. It's all nice and neatly cut. All marked and cut to 16" no stubs etc. Most people are pretty lazy around here though it seems.... Mike

I deliver softwood for free, sometimes with some hard wood mixed in. I put an ad on craigslist for free softwood, and only got a few serious people. I also deliver hardwood for $50 a dump load. Which is about 1 and 1/2 to 2 cords of wood. It's all nice and neatly cut. All marked and cut to 16" no stubs etc. Most people are pretty lazy around here though it seems.... Mike

Mike,if your ever on my side of the river,and working near exit 4-6 off I84.Im 1 mi from exit 5,easy access,ill take all the free wood,and most of the hard wood as well.Just shoot me a Pm

LOL, if you want quality wood for free come look at it, agree to take it and haul it off. If you want to deal with what is delivered there might be some fork cuts, logs that are not cut to length and trash. Any serious wood burner burns it all. What do you want for free???
Well, in my case, it's no longer free, and perhaps that's what tainted my post. Now the tree trimmer is expecting me to service all of his equipment--pole saw sharpening, ladder repair, complete chain saw repair, engine tune up, and chain sharpening, etc. He pays me off in "free" wood only while he collects the cash for the trimming and removal.

This last time I told him I had plenty of wood, which is the truth. Enough is enough.

Well, in my case, it's no longer free, and perhaps that's what tainted my post. Now the tree trimmer is expecting me to service all of his equipment--pole saw sharpening, ladder repair, complete chain saw repair, engine tune up, and chain sharpening, etc. He pays me off in "free" wood only while he collects the cash for the trimming and removal.

This last time I told him I had plenty of wood, which is the truth. Enough is enough.

Gotta agree with you on that one! That is a lot of equipement work in exchange for free wood!Especially since he would more than likely have to pay to dump it elsewhere.

I got one pretty good tree service that gives me call from time to time, Trevor with Clearview Tree service in fact gave me a call last night and I picked up a full load this morning of some pretty good hardwood. He has never asked me for a dime, although I have offered to bring lunch out to the site.Loads me up with his tractor, and I never have to break a sweat.
Some good tree services out there, just takes some time to find em.

I give all my wood away but you have to take the bad with the good if you want it for free but most of the time it's all good firewood but will involve some labor to use it and people often make the mistake of telling me they will take all I can give them and I just laugh to myself because they have no clue and then after I fill their yard up they tell me they can't take anymore for awhile.

thanks for the offer johnd but I really don't work in orange co. (Iv'e done one job in 3 years). I hear you on the "I'll take all you got" thing Rf tree. I always hear that but after they see one load of chips they change their tune. So I always plan on only leaving one load, even if they say other wise.
Mike

The little bit that I've worked with an arborist it has been all good as long as I "take the good with the bad" wood. Theres always wood needed for campfires and who wants to use hickory or oak for those!

Anyone looking to dump in the Mansfield, Ohio area... shoot me a PM!

Yeah, that don't sound like too fair of a trade to me. Anyone who was willing to help me service my saws I would be wanting to keep real happy (and not just with firewood). I actually will deliver to someone for free if they are in the area and ask me (like when they see me on a job and live close) I have a wood lot and keep what I don't give away to sell in the off season. If someone is there when I deliver and tells me they don't want a fork cut or larger logs I just take what they don't want back to the wood lot. But if I can get rid of a load closer to the job I'm all about saving gas.

Last edited:
If someone is there when I deliver and tells me they don't want a fork cut or larger logs I just take what they don't want back to the wood lot. But if I can get rid of a load closer to the job I'm all about saving gas.
I flat out refuse to give away the wood to people who are picky, if they tell my they don't want this and that then they get nothing, I mean I'm not looking to unload a bunch of junk wood (most of that goes to the dump) but if there is a few bad pieces in with the good then they have to take it or leave it and people who come and tell me they'll take ALL the wood from a large tree get the large stuff loaded first then they can come get the small, too many times I've been told this only to end up hauling the large stuff anyway, begger's can't be choosy in my book.

thanks for the offer johnd but I really don't work in orange co. (Iv'e done one job in 3 years). I hear you on the "I'll take all you got" thing Rf tree. I always hear that but after they see one load of chips they change their tune. So I always plan on only leaving one load, even if they say other wise.
Mike

I figured you didnt work over here,but it was worth a shot,I want the chips even more than the wood,we use them on the golf cart paths,and in the woods on our trails between the holes. I have an old 2.5 yard michigan loader that will push the piles you make,and my Cat SS,I have over 100 acres,beleive me you couldnt give to much wood,and chips if you wanted too.

It can pay big dividends if you get in tight with the local tree-service crew. I filled 3 30 yard containers (dumpsters) full of bucked tree-service wood today at work. Just realize that you will get some GNARLY crotches and nasty stuff too. There is some horrible unsplittable-huge stumps that I've turned into a huge pile. I really don't think there is anything I can do with that big stuff....but I can't tell them not to bring it for sake of them going somewhere else entirely! Without a mini-track hoe I wouldn't be able to work with any of the wood they drop off. It would be way more than a man can handle with his hands!

I would likely need to get a bigger saw if I got much of that size wood. You would likely be waist deep in noodles by the time you got that stuff cut up.

Back